ntoskrnl.exe

Reaction score
So I'm trying to bootcamp a 64 bit pro version of xp onto my mid-2007 Macbook, because I've read it can be done. I'm using a stripped down version of xp, which I know works, because I just used it on my friend's PC, and I had previously used a 32 bit version of this on my Macbbook so I know the stripped versions work on my Macbook. But now when I try to install, after the Windows Installer has formatted the partition and copied all the files, when it restarts it only tells me the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Can anyone tell me why this isn't working?? At first I thought it might just be this stripped down version, but I've tried two others as well, all with the same result. I've searched this forum and google, all for naught. Can someone please save me from throwing my Macbook out my second story window?? Thanks.

Reaction score
This only happened to me when I installed Windows XP without re-formatting the partition that Boot Camp created as NTFS. When you stay "stripped down" are you talking about something like TinyXP?

OP
H
Reaction score
Ntfs

Yes, pretty much something like XP, I don't like how slow and ponderous my original installs are, so it's an install disc that is about 700 mb. It's ridiculously faster. And I did reformat as NTFS, both the quick and normal options, both to the same effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.