• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FLV/MP4/MOV > 720p TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[iMac 17", Tiger]> fried. iMac 20" Leopard
Want to burn dvd's suitable for my 720p tv. I do have a 480p dvd player.

I'm using iSkysoft converter to try and convert & burn the best dvd possible. Hopefully maintaining the 16:9 when applicable, but ultimately looking for the best resolution/least artifacting/transcoding/cropping. Been dloading youtube .flvs / .mp4's, vimeo .movs and dealing with canon mvi's.

FLV's: 16:9 (854x480) / (428x240) & 4:3 (320x240)

MP4's/ MOV's: 16:9 (1280x720) & 4:3 (320x240)

MVI's: 4:3 (640x480)

-------

Haven't burnt yet. So far, I did export the 16:9 (854x480) to mpeg2, but it results in 720x480 4:3. How is this going to display burnt? Will exporting .vob instead maintain 16:9 or exporting to Xvid .avi > data dvd. I'm confused as to how to best maintain the original pixels / 16:9 ratio. Not sure if the scaling is unflattering if I don't crop to 480p. Don't know if square pixelization or other things come into play for this or anything otherwise - I'm all ears though!

I know this is a bit all over the place but there are always so many variables :D. I am kind of looking for a mult-faceted approach to dealing with these collectively or separately.

thanks for your time in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
DVD is SD by default, you won't get HD video onto a DVD in the standard DVD format playable by a DVD player. You can get HD video onto an AVCHD DVD, but you REQUIRE a bluray player to play it back, it can't be played back by a standard set top DVD player.

SD is 4:3 and export for DVD will be 720x480. There are two ways to get a maintained aspect ratio on a DVD - footage that is 16:9 anamorphic (looks wierd if played in 4:3, but dvd players should auto convert to 16:9 for playback).

Get VLC and playback your transcoded footage to see what it looks like, that may answer some questions.

If it looks 16:9 great. If it looks squished where the people look really skinny, great. If it looks letterboxed; well; ok at least you've probably maintained the aspect ratio. If it looks like it's been chopped off on the left and right to fill the frame, bad. If it looks right (option 1, 2 possibly 3), then burn the DVD. if it looks like the first or second possibility, make sure to set the DVD to be 16:9. If it looks letterboxed then you have to set your dvd mode to 4:3 (as it's already had the ratio maintained by scaling the image to a letterbox format to fit in a 4:3 frame).

OP
sloburnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[iMac 17", Tiger]> fried. iMac 20" Leopard
Thanks, it's starting to make more sense. :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.