Which Laptop? (unbiased opinion necessary)

Reaction score
Right now, I’m in the market to buy a new laptop. However, I’m going to work in an underdeveloped country for a long time, and I need a new laptop to type out articles while I’m there. From what I hear, the place I’m staying is pretty dusty and muggy.

With that in mind, I narrowed my choice down to two very respectable laptops:

1. The Lenovo T500 (formerly the IBM Thinkpad) 15.4 inch
Lenovo T500 ThinkPad Review

2. The Macbook Pro 13 inch
Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical specifications of the 13-inch.

I’m primarily focused on the build quality and durability over specs (though I’m looking to spend approximately $1000 dollars, so I would imagine the 800$ Thinkpad would be more robust internally than the Mac after upgrades).

If you have any firsthand experience with either laptops (or are really knowledgeable about the models), please give me your opinion of which laptop I should choose. Remember, I'm looking for build quality, reliability, and sturdiness over all else. Scratching is expected, and I'm not one to sob over a scuffed chrome lid of a macbook or dinged lenovo - just as long as it won't die out on me under extreme conditions.

Additionally, if you were a PC maniac who recently converted to the apple OS, tell me your story too; is it more reliable, easier, intuitive?

Thanks once again

OP
M
Reaction score
Right now, I’m in the market to buy a new laptop. However, I’m going to work in an underdeveloped country for a long time, and I need a new laptop to type out articles while I’m there. From what I hear, the place I’m staying is pretty dusty and muggy.

I’m primarily focused on the build quality and durability over specs (though I’m looking to spend approximately $1000 dollars, so I would imagine the 800$ Thinkpad would be more robust internally than the Mac after upgrades).

If you have any firsthand experience with either laptops (or are really knowledgeable about the models), please give me your opinion of which laptop I should choose. Remember, I'm looking for build quality, reliability, and sturdiness over all else. Scratching is expected, and I'm not one to sob over a scuffed chrome lid of a macbook or dinged lenovo - just as long as it won't die out on me under extreme conditions.

Additionally, if you were a PC maniac who recently converted to the apple OS, tell me your story too; is it more reliable, easier, intuitive?

Thanks once again

Reaction score
I have treated my Macbook with extreme care as I have read that small amounts of spills or drops can damage the machine; although it feels very solid and robust.

I own a Thinkpad X60 and it has worked flawlessly after many drops from tables onto linoleum floors and been lugged in my backpack nearly every day for 2 years.

I tell people that I would only buy 2 laptops: Lenovo Thinkpads or Apple.

I'm sure either would be adequate, although my unbiased opinion is that I have greater confidence in the Thinkpad, but this is due to my long experience with mine compared to a brief experience with my Macbook.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The thinkpad has very nice specs. Although it might be a deal breaker since it doesn't have the glass track pad, and the backlit keyboard.

The thinkpad seems to be more geared towards business men and has very serious aura around it. Aesthetically it looks boring especially with all the dark colors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro Aluminum Unibody & 13" White Macbook

Thanks once again

Where exactly are you going? I spent 5 months in East Africa last year, and there was no way I was taking my Macbook with me. If I 100% needed to take a computer with me, i would have bought a $500 piece of garbage PC, because the amount of stress (dust, dirt, inquisitive fingers) it would have been under wasn't worth taking my Macbook.

If you're just typing up articles, why not buy a netbook for $300? It'll be more physically secure, if something does happen to it, you're not SOL, and it'll get the job done, if you don't need anything special.

If you do decide to spend over $800, make sure you get a warranty or something and make sure that it will be covered if you take the computer out of the country.

Also, if you're not using the computer every day, do you really want to risk taking one with you? Even in some of the most rural areas in Africa you can find a computer/internet cafe that you can easily type up articles.

Remember that if you're travelling somewhere where the vast majority of the population is living in extreme poverty, and you show up with a shiny new laptop, you're screaming out to them that you're a tourist and ripe for picking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
As I look at it, you have a few choices:

Get a cheap laptop that you won't mind getting destroyed in a hostile outdoors environment.

Pay a bit more and get (used or new, but new is not cheap) a Panasonic Toughbook which are designed specifically for harsh conditions.

JMHO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
As I look at it, you have a few choices:

Get a cheap laptop that you won't mind getting destroyed in a hostile outdoors environment.

Pay a bit more and get (used or new, but new is not cheap) a Panasonic Toughbook which are designed specifically for harsh conditions.

JMHO
This is the best advice so far.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I 2nd the Panasonic Toughbook for a bad environment. Very rugged notebook but not cheap! The inexpensive notebook would work also but it can't take it like the toughbook can. It really depends on how bad your environment is!

On the other issue, the only reason I would purchase a Macbook or Macbook Pro over the Lenovo would be OSX. If you like Windows and need a lot of Windows only applications, to me the Lenovo would be the way to go (unless you get a toughbook for the ruggedness). Is there a way you could go to an Apple Store or Dealer and mess with OSX and see if you really like it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.