• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The stupid Mac vs. Windows crap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
It's completely annoying!

It all starts off by Windows users going off out of nowhere saying "Macs suck" I mean, seriously, it's all on their opinion only. I used to be the same way, I convinced my cousin that Macs sucked when I didn't know crap about them, he thought they were great and all and I just bashed and bashed and he took my word because I knew a lot about PCs, but honestly nothing about Macs. So the bashers are just misinformed, I mean, look at me now! I own a Mac and I'm in dept to it! I love it!!

Anyways, I think that if the Windows people are happy with what they got they should just let it be, they don't need to change the subject of a thread to a Mac vs. Windows Debate.

I'm basically talking about another couple forums I go to.

Nothing really start with me, I'm talking about other threads I've read. Plus some that have started in threads I've been in. I mean, really I show them straight and quik.

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Lets see a PC user run OS X in a window :)

I can run Win2K in a window, no problem. I can't play Quake 2023, but I can run Office or whatever other apps I need to.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
How soon do you think it'll be to get 3D card support with the emulator?

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I have no idea. I haven't really been following VPC. But now that MS owns it, and they want to sell Windows OS's to Mac users as well, I'm sure it will surface sometime.

N

nko

A PC running OS X in a window? Wouldn't that be Mac-on-Linux forwarding X11 through SSH to a remote PC?

H

HopperJonusFang

lol. PC's are inferior enough said really.
And yes... I have used a PC since 1999 and withink 10 minutes of using a Mac I was convinced

K

kakosc

I usually just send an mp3 recording of me saying 'computer: switch to itunes', the computer saying back 'switching to itunes' and the noise of an opening program.
they instantly shut up bagging macs out and secretly hurry off to a mac store.
Not that i really care who uses what machine, im not steve jobs. It just really annoys me when pc users just bag out macs.

S

silentraven

i was a PC user all my life, ever since i was born i've had one. started building my own at the tender age of 6. it's almost 16 years later, and i can't believe i'm in love with my Mac. As i was growing up, my dad told me they weren't any good. I had never used a Mac, but i kept bashing it, even refusing to use one at the school i went to. I found a bunch of Apple stickers (the multicolored one), and i used to put them on things and cross them out. I started going to Art School in 2000 majoring in Graphic Design, and we had to use the Mac Labs. The first couple of times, i hated having to go to the Mac Lab for class. Then after a few times i started enjoying the look of them, and the ease of use. I found myself never going to another lab at school. If a PC lab was open and a Mac lab wasn't, i'd wait for the Mac lab to open so i could go use it. But yeah, now i own a Dual 2GHz G5, 23" Cinema Display and a 30GB iPod...and i wouldnt want it any other way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
there are a lot of people i know like you raven. they didnt realise how good macs are cause they refused to try one.

B

BimmerBoy

i have to say in my own personal opinion i believe pc's and mac's to be great in their own way. I like the depth of customization and programability within windows but macs are simple, clean, and powerful. I always found it funny that Apple created all these ad's bagging on PC's and PC kind of ignored it because they had the user base.
I respect both systems for what they can do.
only thing that really bothers me is the lack of software for mac's. Makes me want to break out VPC.

As to the comment about video support on VPC, I would love to know how much that application can handle. I just bought a pc game which is pretty cpu intensive and would love to put it on my mac via VPC, if it can handle it,,,,
Any thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
BimmerBoy said:
i have to say in my own personal opinion i believe pc's and mac's to be great in their own way. I like the depth of customization and programability within windows but macs are simple, clean, and powerful. I always found it funny that Apple created all these ad's bagging on PC's and PC kind of ignored it because they had the user base.
I respect both systems for what they can do.
only thing that really bothers me is the lack of software for mac's. Makes me want to break out VPC.

As to the comment about video support on VPC, I would love to know how much that application can handle. I just bought a pc game which is pretty cpu intensive and would love to put it on my mac via VPC, if it can handle it,,,,
Any thoughts on this?

I found the apple ads funny to, ah.. always good to have a laugh at the PCs share.

What lack of software for macs?

Your VPC won't beable to emulate graphics. The best game ive been able to play on a pc is some robinhood game looks like it came from the mid 90s and it was even to laggy for me.

I seriously and honestly believe that people only bought PCs because they were cheaper than Mac. They didn't do research they didn't think much about it, they saw a price. That was all they needed to get sold. People bought it then had to spring for more money and got alot of headache. I would say of the people switching computers 98% is PC to Mac, the rest is Linux to Mac, Unix to mac, Unix to Linux, and Mac to PC.

PC really doesn't in my eyes have anything over mac... honestly name 1 thing a PC can do that a macintosh cannot do. (note: lack of software is a poor argument any program non-game that is any good is ported to mac)

S

StarManta

Graphite: games.
Games and price are the only two legitimate reasons not to use a mac that I know of. I had tried to use a Mac a few times over the years, but never on OS X.... that's what it took to sell me on it. When I bought a Powerbook for Digital Design, I was hooked within a week. Games are a small price to pay for such a great OS.

G

GwiDan

There's one very good app. I haven't been able to find for Mac: an MS Paint alternative. It's one of the most useful pieces of software I've come across, but there doesn't seem to be a Mac version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
No, there is no mac version, but there are better things on mac than the PC version of MS Paint.. I have used MS Paint and it is little worse than ClairisWorks 6 Paint option.

Also I know Versiontracker has loads of Painting programs... not to mention I believe there is an OpenSource Photoshop project.. if its not yet released it will be.

StarManta, there is no game for PC that a Macintosh could not run if it were ported. Besides there aren't really any games for PC only that I would want to play that are not for Macintosh.

and so i still wait for something pc has over mac.

Btw, gwidan, i noticed your signature, if your into film enter yourself into Mac-Forums Film Festival

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Graphite said:
and so i still wait for something pc has over mac.

what about Drag and Drop?

sig.txt

LOL

B

BimmerBoy

Graphite- many good points.

Just search the boards for many people asking why a certain application is not available for mac. There are quite a few applications that are not available which are still good. yes, there are alternatives and in many ways may be better then what the user was originally looking for, however what if that user needed that specific application to do a task?

Also, there are some attributes of PC's that may be better over Mac, not many at all, dont get me wrong I Love my mac. I have seen certain applications run better in some benchmarks on the PC. This is mainly because the programming for the hardware was designed to make those certain applications run faster/more efficiently.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
One game I think PC has over Mac is Half-Life and it's mods

And the only application I can think of that they have over us is DVDCopyX or whatever it's called, I heard it's got many awesome features.

Also CloneDVD

sKaD

K

kakosc

hee hee deletied by author

Im totally with GwiDan, i love MSpaint, and nothing has been able to replace it for me, not even photoshop. The export function on viewer is no where near as easy as save as.. in paint.
And just easy easy copy and pasting, drawing, everything in paint was good, i have no complaints about it whatsoever, except not being available on the mac. Apple or Claris or whatever Works paint and draw are no good for anything. They've both got a real air of 'we dont really care at all if you like this program, we're not here to please you but to make the included software list on the mac look better (as if it needs it with ilife).
When I first got my mac, i was really annoyed with the software issue. No file sharing, no option in media players, no free worthless adware crap software off download.com, no paint.. but then i realised that you just have to look alot harder for mac software, and when you find it they are often alot better than the equivilant mac software.
Quicktime is the worst peice of software ever, and i wish i could get rid of it assuming native media player in video files. mplayer is so good, and supports all the extensions quicktimes does, and alot more.
iTunes is good, but i like to just put my playlist on random and just let it go, and iTunes selects about 10 songs and circulates them (yes, slight exaggeration there), most unlike next to perfect winamp 2 (not 3).
But yeah, all operating systems have their issues, and mac osx is no different.
i do find that Windows is more.. its hard to say. I find osx very clear cut, very unwelcoming, the included software is only 'yeah your just a consumer nobody, here's some apps we'll throw at you so you switch from pc, and if you are any worth to us you'll buy our pro products' which is fine i suppose, seeing as they're not going to make any money giving good software away.
i also hate how the mac, and windows XP to be honest, treats you like an idiot. Windows 98 would just tell me straight anything i wanted to know, but i still dont know if my superdrive is dvd-rw capable, or if its just able to burn once to dvd-r.
Customisation is important for me, osx should have the easy ability to go into preferences, click themes, click new themes, which opens the browser window at an apple site that has many different, good themes to download, as well as links to third party sites who offer both free and paid for themes. I know you can download themes for osx, but you need to fiddle around with hackering software or dive deep down into system files, which I'm ok with but it requires a lot of learning, not to mention risk. Apple should just open up a little bit, it is our computer and operating system, we're not renting out from them, we should be able to know whats going on with it and change it without having to manually rip open the protective shell.
I think osx not allowing automatic access to root shows this clearly.
</*****>
osx is 10 times the operating system windows will ever be, and i dont regret switching for a second.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.