• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony Camcorder, Mac and PS3

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

After much deliberation i finally purchased a new Sony HD 1080p Camcorder.

The model is a Handycam XR200v.

I have been able to transfer the video's i've taken to my MAC (imovie08) but it doesnt show on my PS3.

Does anyone know of a way to transfer a Hi-Def home video to both MAC and PS3?

Thank you,

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 13-inch, 4Gb Ram, 250 HD with 1TB External, 16GB Iphone 3GS
mike,
not totally sure if this is right, but are you sure PS3's can read imovie files?
what have they been exported as?

i only say this, as i have some data that my ps3 cant read because of the format of the actual file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'm not sure of all of your options, but here are a few:

1) Get software to burn AVCHD dvd and/or BluRay to take a video file exported from imovie and make an appropriate disc for the ps3. Making an AVCHD DVD will limit the amount of time you can record on a single DVD in HD. BluRay will require a bluray burner. Roxios Toast will burn AVCHD and BluRay if you buy the top end package of toast or purchase the HD license key for Toast 10 titanium (see: Roxio CD & DVD Burning Software and scroll down to Mac)

2) Get the PMS server that will act as a media server for the ps3.

3) Convert to one of the formats listed here:
PS3™ | Types of files that can be played
and put the file (or files) on a memory card and transfer to the ps3.

If you can't output a compatible format direct from imovie (not sure of the options since I don't really use it) you should be able to use one of the following to convert to the format you need:

MPEG Streamclip
ffmpegx
HandBrake

Hopefully that'll help!

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

I was able to convert to MP4 and actually view the video on my PS3, i used mpeg streamline.

I did notice the quality was not as great as plugging the camera directly into the PS3.

One thing i found odd is that in all those apps you guys pointed out, none of them had AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts) file types.

Any suggestions...

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to change your bitrate settings to increase image quality. What settings did you use?

see: AVCHD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - mpeg4 with h264 is codec format that is used in avchd as well as mpeg2 streams.

Toast will output AVCHD - it's geared to outputting to a physical dvd, but you could probably also just output to an dmg file and then copy the folder hierarchy.

Keep in mind, if you get your bitrate right on the mp4, you really should have no reason to then convert it to another container/codec as the quality should be more then high enough. I don't know what the default was, but you may want to try a variety of settings I usually use between 4500 and 7500 kbps for my bitrate for 720

OP
M
Reaction score
Nethfel,

I checked out WIKI and ended up using mpeg streamclip and converted using h264. it ended up taking the same .mov video down from 900mb to 45mb. I changed the bitrate settings also to 5000.

Plays great on the PS3.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, yeah, the bitrate is usually the key. H.264 is really nice if the settings are right, but if they're wrong (read: too low), whew, do you know it; especially if there is any fast movement.

I'm glad it worked out for ya! I used to use my PS3 to stream video to, but I haven't done that in a while because i was tired of not being able to fast-forward over segments i didn't want to see, and if it's already in a media file, I usually just play it on my HTPC hooked into my tv ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Nethfel, you mentioned you chose 720. Does anyone happen to know if there is a difference between 720p and 1080i? The video i setup i used 1080i but i've heard that 720p is actually better.

Thank you

Reaction score
Transferring Videos to Mac

Hey Everyone,

After much deliberation i finally purchased a new Sony HD 1080p Camcorder.

The model is a Handycam XR200v.

I have been able to transfer the video's i've taken to my MAC (imovie08) but it doesnt show on my PS3.

Does anyone know of a way to transfer a Hi-Def home video to both MAC and PS3?

Thank you,

Mike

How did you transfer the files. I bought my son a Sony Handycam camcorder for Christmas and we can not transfer files onto my mac. It is a DCR-SX40. We plugged it in using a USB cable. What are we doing wrong? I have IMOVIE '08 only. I was told to use a firewire cable instead. How do I get one to fit the camcorder? Or do I actually need a firewire cable? Do I need IMOVIE '09?

Reaction score
Okay, I sought after outside help and I managed to transfer the files using Image Capture on my Mac. Now I tried to open them in Iphoto. I photo recognizes the video, but doens't play the video. Quicktime Pro does not play the video due to they are in the wrong format. The format they are currently in is MPG. I downloaded Prism for non commercial use and I am converting the files. I don't know if it actually works for not, but I will let you know. I am converting the files to mp4. Okay folks, have a nice day!

Reaction score
Alright it worked. Here is what I did, but I don't know if it will work for any of you:

First I connected the Sony handycam to my mac using a usb cable, that's right a usb cable. Next, I selected USB connect on the handycam screen. After that, I imported the files using "Image Capture" on my Mac. On the list to the left of the Image Capture window, I selected devices. I found my handycam device and selected it. Then I imported all of the files both still images and the videos. Next I opened them using Iphoto and Quicktime Pro; however, neither of the programs would open them due to unsupported format. Next I found a program to convert the video files. I chose Prism (for noncommercial use). I converted the mpg's to mp4's. Next I imported them to use into IMOVIE '08. Use the import feature under the file menu. I edited the video clips, and played them back. Wallah! I now have a video file that I can export to tv or youtube or burn to dvd. Like I said I had to get a little bit of outside help from a pro, but I found the rest of it on my own. Hope this helps some of you. Don't get discouraged, just find out things before you buy. At least this is what this has taught me. I still LOVE MY MAC!!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey,

Transferring those files over to your mac can be a pain.

I actually plug in my sony HD cam using USB and IMovie 08 pics it up and downloads all the video's to my MAC.

I then use mpeg stremclip to compress the files and transfer them to MP4 so i can view them on my PS3 and save some room on my MAC as IMOVIE 08 does a terrible job of compressing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.