virus question

Reaction score
Ok Im sure you guys have heard of Confickr virus awhile back around aprilish, Well our network got hit with it, we got ride of most of it but there still might be a slight chance its hiding out on the network, if I hook up my macbook i know that i can not get it but can it get on my HD and say transfer to my pc's at home? I mean i have virus protection and all that but i dont want it sitting on my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
The simple answer - yes. Any virus that has climbed aboard your machine via a file or program can be transferred to a PC. All it takes if for you to transfer that file to a PC with the network or email, and for the PC user to open that file.

Reaction score
The simple answer - yes. Any virus that has climbed aboard your machine via a file or program can be transferred to a PC. All it takes if for you to transfer that file to a PC with the network or email, and for the PC user to open that file.

My friend accidently did that to our other friend's pc. so be careful tossing files around.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
ya but is there any way to know/remove if my macbook gets hit by it. I mean it wont do anything to my macbook right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
There are some virus scanners for OSX that will scan for both OSX and windows viruses/trojans. You can check ClamXAV for a free scanner that if I read the info right will check for Windows based viruses. Can't guarantee it will catch everything, but if you want to protect windows machines and don't want to pay for a virus scanner, it's better then nothing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
NO Windows virus can affect OSX in any way, shape of form. BUT, if you say network copy an infected file to your Mac running OSX, the file is still there and infected and if you pass that file on to a friend or a Windows machine then you are passing on the Virus and it can get infected unless it has a good and updated AntiVirus installed.

I repeat, OSX can in NO WAY be affected by any Windows Virus. But you can pass it on, but it's not OSX passing it on, it's you the user.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
But thats only if I copy a network file that is infected correct, sorry I feel dumb and iam a friggin Windows IT guy but I just really want to make sure, dont want anything hurting my brand new baby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Correct. If a file is transferred to Windows from your mac and opened on your Windows machine, it CAN and WILL infect your PC. Because of this danger, it's important to have a good and updated virus scanner on your mac and your PC's. Hope this clarifies things!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.