need a new digi point & shoot

Reaction score
I wanting to get my wife a new camera. Right now she is using an older Canon 5mp camera that simply stinks. VERY slow. I have a Canon 20D and an Olympus Tough 8000. i love both of these camera. We are looking for something with excellent image quality along with color and speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
I recently sold all my Nikon equipment and replaced it with this very clever camera from Olympus. (SP-590UZ) The picture quality/colour etc. is excellent, 12 Mp. It's light, quite small and very convenient.
SP-590UZ Specs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
Well just because it's 5 megapixels doesn't make it a bad camera-- just as 12mp doesn't necessarily make a good camera either. More megapixels you fit onto a point and shoot sensor more prone you are to noise anyways.

Just to make things easy on you, here are a few suggestions:

Panasonic TZ5. It's a year old, so its price has gone down from 350 to 200 dollars. At one year old, it still competes and tops most new point and shoots today on the market, in terms of color accuracy and camera functions. It has a 28-280mm 10x optical zoom lens, and has impressively low distortion at tele and wide angles. Other features are hd video, intelligent auto, 15-60 second shutter speeds and burst shooting.

Fujifilm F30d and F31d. Though they're years old, they still outmatch almost every other point and shoot on the market by a broad rang in terms of picture quality-- especially in low light. They're very compact to boot. You'd be hard pressed to find one cheap in the current market, as they're still very sought after point and shoots. The Fujifilm F100d is said to have same principle design as F30d and F31d, so you may want to look into at as well, though you could be easily dishing out 400 dollars.

Reaction score
Faith and Grace: I have a Canon Powershot SD850 IS. I am very impressed with the video quality that this point-and-shoot camera does on top of still pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Check out the Olympus SP-570UZ. I use this camera when I don't want to take my DSLR along with me. Excellent all around camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHZ, 4GB DDR3
if you have a 20D already, a Canon G10 isn't much different in its menu options. Great image quality too.

OP
F
Reaction score
Well I still haven't pulled the trigger. i do have it narrowed down to the Canon G10 and the panasonic LX3. Unfortunately all stores that carry cameras have closed up except for Best Buy. Best Buy has the G10 but not the LX3. I would love to hold both side by side and make a choice but I am left up to reviews on the net to help me make my decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHZ, 4GB DDR3
If you live near NYC you can try B&H. They have them both on display.

The G10 is what I would lean towards.

OP
F
Reaction score
i bought the G10 and dag gun if my wife didn't take it. Her camera finally crapped out and she needs one. Well I guess that means I will buy the LX3 too but I am loving the G10. low light kind of stinks though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.