• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Saving home movie to computer?

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new Macbook and still trying to figure things out and i can't figure out how to save a home movie that is currently on a DVD+R to the computer. I know it's probably real simple but i can't figure it out.I have searched and tried many different things but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Is the movie playable on a dvd player? Otherwise, this isn't a dvd from a camcorder that records to dvd, nor is it a data dvd?

If it's setup as a dvd-video disc and you want the the video in a file you can play on your computer, like an mp4 or something, take a look at handbrake as it will convert dvd video to several different single file formats suitable for playing with programs like quicktime. I'm not going to say it's the easiest program for someone who has never done a conversion before, but it does work well. This will only work on non-copyprotected dvds, so you should have no problem with a home movie that's been put onto dvd.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is the movie playable on a dvd player? Otherwise, this isn't a dvd from a camcorder that records to dvd, nor is it a data dvd?
Good point. What are we looking at in terms of format on the DVD? Was it burned as a video disc or did someone simply copy a video to a dvd disc (in other words, a DVD disc)?

If it is just a video on a DVD disc, it is likely that you may not have the proper codecs installed. Try installing flip4mac to play WMV files and Perian for just about everything else.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, the video is playable on a DVD player. I'm pretty sure he just recorded with a video camera and then saved it to a DVD+R disk. I just want to copy it to the computer instead of having to carry around the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You could try using Disk Utility to replicate the DVD, or Toast if you have it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It sounds like it was burnt as a DVD movie disc. Try using something like Handbrake to rip and encode it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.