Hidden Costs?

Reaction score
I'm about to enter my freshman year of college and am pretty set on getting a new Macbook Pro. They seem pretty cool and I figure I need to try out a Mac at some point in my life.

Are there any hidden costs I should be aware of? I know that I will have to buy programs specificially for Macs and accessories. Will I have to spend any more money to make my Mac compatible for everyday use?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Not unless you have to purchase windows for some reason. There shouldn't be any extra cost to you unless there are programs that are a must have for the windows platform that isn't available in a Mac version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
The only extra expenses would be like for MS office or Windoze.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely getting Office, I just don't think I can convince myself to give that up after using it for so long.

I'm considering getting Microsoft 7 or whatever when it comes out depending on the price.

Are there a lot of common and useful programs that aren't made for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yeah, I'm definitely getting Office, I just don't think I can convince myself to give that up after using it for so long.

I'm considering getting Microsoft 7 or whatever when it comes out depending on the price.

Are there a lot of common and useful programs that aren't made for Mac?

I would try out Open Office before buying MS Office. Office for the Mac is totally different animal compared to the Windows version. The layout is totally different.

I was struggling to find where everything was at first but you kind of get use to it after you are forced to use it so much. Especially when you get to college every class requires a paper. I'm so sick of writing papers. >_<"

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Applecare to extend the warranty out past the first year.

That is optional not a must have. It's not like they bend and twist your arm to get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Unibody, 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 10.5.7
Especially when you get to college every class requires a paper. I'm so sick of writing papers. >_<"

Haha, My Degree switched to being 100% coursework last year so they replaced each exam with 2 much longer papers, it's been lol but I finished May 8th when everyone else had exams so it's all good until September.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Especially when you get to college every class requires a paper. I'm so sick of writing papers. >_<"
Oh, how I feel your pain - graduate school will do that to you.

There may be a few Windows programs that aren't ported to the Mac but there will be fine alternatives. For example, while MSN is made for the Mac (it's horrible), Adium is a fine replacement. You should have no problems finding an alternative that will hopefully make the transition fairly seamless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could even end up saving money considereing what software comes free with the mac

Imovie / iDVD
Garageband
iPhoto
iweb

Also you can download the public release of Windows 7 for free that will work until June 2008

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also you can download the public release of Windows 7 for free that will work until June 2008
A caveat though - it will start to shut down every two hours starting in March.

Reaction score
There is also Thinkfree Office. ThinkFree Online It has fully compatible Word, Excel and Powerpoint. As far as reading I would get MacFormat. It cost about 15 bucks per issues but each issues comes with free software plus some special full versions. Trust me once you go Mac you will never go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I love writing papers, much better than multiple choice/short answer type of exams.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love writing papers, much better than multiple choice/short answer type of exams.
Do you now? Would you like to write mine? ;)

If one doesn't get it and their Mac breaks after the first year, they will wish someone had twisted their arm.
On the same token, you could save yourself money if you're conscious of what you do with your Mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
I would try out Open Office before buying MS Office. Office for the Mac is totally different animal compared to the Windows version. The layout is totally different.

I was struggling to find where everything was at first but you kind of get use to it after you are forced to use it so much. Especially when you get to college every class requires a paper. I'm so sick of writing papers. >_<"

MS Office is different on a Mac than on a PC?

To S.SubZero, I though Macs didn't break that often. I've had my PC for over four years now with pretty much zero problems. I would expect the same or better from my new Mac.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you now? Would you like to write mine? ;)

On the same token, you could save yourself money if you're conscious of what you do with your Mac.

LOL looks like I totally derailed the thread. :p

I prefer short essay exams as well because it can be all fluff with a bit of facts thrown in here and there and you still get credit.

I'm an Art major and I don't see how writing papers on other people's artwork helps me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, but they're easier in many ways than a project is :D

Oh and being forced to actually pay attention to someone elses work... not so bad either.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MS Office is different on a Mac than on a PC?

To S.SubZero, I though Macs didn't break that often. I've had my PC for over four years now with pretty much zero problems. I would expect the same or better from my new Mac.

The layout is different. It still does the same things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.