Windows 7 Broke my Mac Pro!!

Reaction score
Help!

I have a first gen Mac Pro with the 8800gt upgrade kit. I use Dual monitors.

I installed Windows 7 32-bit and the bootcamp drivers that are compatible. Everything was fine until I started playing a game and the machine hard froze and rebooted, after that I got graphic distortion during the windows loading screen and then a BSOD saying it couldn't reload the graphics driver.

I tried rolling back the system etc. etc. etc. Then I gave up and decided to just reload Windows 7. Here's when I started panicking: I booted from the Windows 7 disc and it had the same graphic distortion (many blue horizontal lines) during the loading screen (from disc). Meaning (to me), that it is an issue not just in the OS, but with the card itself.

I then tried to boot to the Mac side (10.5.7). It boots up fine, but video only appears on the second monitor no matter what I try. I can tell its fully booted because I can file share with the tower from my macbook pro.

Anyone have any tips? Any way to flash the original mac bios back on the card? Or is it just time to get another card...

I saw in another forum that its possible the trouble started with a windows 7 auto update. Someone else with a PC said the same thing happened to them.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long winded explanation.

Ian
http://www.paramitamacrepair.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.