Two questions

Reaction score
I'm from the UK and next month for my 20th I'm going out and getting myself one of the new iMac computers. I've wanted a Macintosh for years since the G4(?) iMac on the semi-sphere base but could never afford one until now (thanks to a part time job in McDonalds, go me!!!). So I've already figured out what software I'll use in place of my Windows Applications. Open Office 3.x is a given, I use iTunes anyway for my iTouch, Logic Pro to replace FLStudio 8 Pro, Dia can run in X11 and so on and so forth. I just need two questions answered.

Firstly, I'm a musician and I also do some (very) light work in Photoshop. Would the extra £300 for the £1500 iMac be worth the ramped up CPU and GPU when I don't do anything major in Photoshop and all of my music processing is handled by external synthesizers?

Secondly, I need an MS Project compatible planning tool. Having Gantt charts is a given but I'd also like PERT and Network diagrams too. Any suggestions?

Cheers :)
~Ben

Reaction score
As a musician myself, I can say that more ram and power is always better. I run logic pro on my iMac (1.83GHz intel) and, even though a lot of the stress is externally, more is usually better. It's your choice. You'll certainly be able to get by with the lower end setup.
As for an MS compatible app for Gantt charts and diagrams, try OmniPlan and OmniGraffle. OmniPlan is like Visio. I believe it's compatible with Microsoft Visio files.

Reaction score
As a musician myself, I can say that more ram and power is always better. I run logic pro on my iMac (1.83GHz intel) and, even though a lot of the stress is externally, more is usually better. It's your choice. You'll certainly be able to get by with the lower end setup.
As for an MS compatible app for Gantt charts and diagrams, try OmniPlan and OmniGraffle. OmniPlan is like Visio. I believe it's compatible with Microsoft Visio files.

I'm not a musician myself but I've found more RAM is always better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.