Connecting a PowerBook G4 to a normal stand-a-lone PC

H

hill.ed

i have a PowerBook and i want to connect it to a Windows PC with a network card and erthernet cable, i lug it in to my machine and i dont no how to connect them together?? i dont suppose annyone can help, i no nothing about these things. cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you need to use a crossover cable and make sure that all filesharing is enabled on the pc and mac. once you have connected the cables click on your mac desktop so that the finder is active hold the apple key and hit k to connect to the computer

OP
H

hill.ed

thanks for that. i have done the filesharing, so when i connect to the PC it should look for it, and should work ok??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea you gotta do the apple-k thing for the powerbook to see it

OP
H

hill.ed

and will a normal erthenet cable do? is it the same as a crossover cable??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am pretty sure that a normal ethernet connection will not work

OP
H

hill.ed

i will just have to report back tommorow after i try, thanks for the info, much apreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
You will need a crossover for this, unlesss you have a hub or a switch laying around. In that case you will need a second cable. But I am guessing that you don't have a hub/switch. You can get a 10" Crossover Cable from CompUsa for $6. And it will always come in handy in the future.

OP
H

hill.ed

got the cabel, right this is what i have done to try and make this work.

1) enabled file sharing for windows on the mac by clicking the check box
2) enabled file sharing for the windows
3) got the right cable and connected to both
4) pressed apple k and the mac cant find anything

i dont no what to do!?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
This gets pretty hairy. Do you know the IP address of either of these machines? You might need to set their IP address's up. Which versions of the OS's are you running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well all that you really need to know is the windows xp IP so that the mac can find it. go into your network connections in XP and find your NIC and right click and hit properites i think (its one of the options on the right click) and you will see a status thing and one of the tabs will have the ip address. write down that address and do the apple-k on the mac and put that address into the address bar in the bottom of the connect window

OP
H

hill.ed

i tried it and it said that an error occured, i dont suppose u can give me a step by step guide on how to do it from scratch. i tried to make a network place on xp but it said there was an error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you dont need to create a network place. all you need to know is the IP address of the PC and put that into the window that comes up from apple-k. you need to have a login and password on the pc and make sure you have your drives shared that you want to be able to connect to so that the apple knows what drives to mount

OP
H

hill.ed

right, i have made it so that i can view all my powerbook files on the pc but access is denied (i set up another account for my friend on my powerbook??!?!) i will now give it a go, what do i do about the acess of files?

OP
H

hill.ed

right now i have put the ip in and it comes up in a box saying connecting to: (ip) and then timeout in : 110 seconds etc? then it came up with an error.

OP
H

hill.ed

right i have progressed! i have put the IP in and now it asks the following:::

SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authrntication

Enter username and password for WINDOWS (thats what the computer is used)

WorkGroup/Domain:
MSHOME (thats what its set to)

Username:

Password:

i dont know what to put in these spaces? for username and password??? i tryed my XP username and pass, but it just says error 36?? please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Did you try putting nothing in the fields?

I think that has to do with some configs under the sharing part..

Try right clicking on the hard drive (on the XP machine) and select "Sharing.." or whatever it's called and try and give it access to everyone or try and change the password to it ?

I don't think that'll work..

Do you have Admin rights on the XP machine? Your UN/PW should work..

I don't know :confused:

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
k, read somewhere that you should restart your XP box..

worth a try?

sKaD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.