Hotmail access difficulties

Reaction score
Hi,

Got our Macbook last Fall but just recently have encountered a couple of difficulties (possible concerns?).

1) When starting up a week or so ago, I received a message along the lines of: "difficulty enountered; you need to hold the start button down for a couple of seconds and try again." This has never happened before or since so I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or not. It is start okay on the 2nd try. I'm still within the one year window where I could buy the extended warranty (giving two more years) so I'm wondering whether I should be forking over the roughly $169 to do so.

2) Just in the last couple of days, when I try to open my hotmail account, it goes into a never-ending search. So, I don't get to the page asking for my log-on name and pass word. I didn't change anything and I don't have any problem accessing my hot mail account with my pc at work.

3) Related to #2, I checked for a software update to see if that might solve my problem with hotmail. I found that there was a Safari update and I downloaded it. Still having trouble accessing hot mail account.

I'm wondering whether the problem is on my end or due to some change with MSN that is making Apple products encounter difficulty in trying to access hotmail. I have not trouble opening other internet sites.

Thanks for all thoughts/suggestions.

Jim

vxd

Reaction score
I have the same problem it has been happening for over a year now. I've just gotten use to it. I just keep hitting refresh until it loads up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2.4 | 3g iPhone
My hotmail account has been acting as described moreso lately, not just on my MacBook but on the PC here at work.

OP
B
Reaction score
Good to know that it's not just my mac. Had to run home briefly since my earlier post and gave it a try again - connected to hotmail site with no problems this time. I don't believe I have encountered the problem with my office pc, however.

Any reactions to the other points raised in my original post re: the need to reboot the machine? Anybody else ever get an error message like that? I've been SOoooooo happy with the machine compared to my previous pc's that getting that sort of a message and having to boot up anew sort of gave me a scare. Again, it only happened that one time. Although, after I did the software updates last night (including one for Safari, as I had mentioned), the Mac screen looked like new with my screen saver not showing or any of the tool bar information. So, I restarted the machine and then everything was fine. I had hit the restart icon when asked after doing the software updates so I was surprised this happened. Seems to be running okay.

Jim

Jim

OP
B
Reaction score
I have the same problem it has been happening for over a year now. I've just gotten use to it. I just keep hitting refresh until it loads up

I did try refreshing many times when I had this problem but it didn't seem to help; maybe I didn't refresh enough times but I did it a lot and it always seemed to be in a continuous search loop for the hotmail site.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Werid because I have no problems accessing my hotmail at all on any more computers. Is this problem also affecting you across different net connections?

OP
B
Reaction score
Werid because I have no problems accessing my hotmail at all on any more computers. Is this problem also affecting you across different net connections?

Well, that could have merit I guess but not sure why it would only appear to happen with hotmail. No problem accessing via large network I'm on at work but I'm also on a pc there. At home, we use DSL and the Mac. Again, we've been using that for months with no problem. I haven't changed our DSL provider or anything so I'm not sure why this has started happening recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Try going to here directly Sign In see you have any luck, if not try hotmail through firefox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.