Apple refunded difference after price drop

Reaction score
I hope that everybody understands that companies have to innovate and release new products and change prices, otherwise they weren't paying attention in business class.

Everybody who whines about recent price drops needs to move on and accept that they were happy with their purchase before the drop in price, just as they should be happy with their product now.

I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro for $1,699 14 days ago. Recent price drop was $350. I called Apple and after being on hold for 20 minutes and a brief and polite discussion, they credited my credit card the full difference after about waiting another 15 minutes. I regard that as excellent customer service. If I had not gotten the rebate I would have still been happy with my Macbook Pro since I was happy with it before the price drop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
That's probably one of the reasons why Apple ranks in like the top 10 in customer support satisfaction.

OP
T
Reaction score
I agree, and they should be ranked that high. I teach Service Economics at university and this is a great example of a company that under promises and over delivers.

Apple is not obligated to refund a price difference but the fact that they do is just icing on the cake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, in EVERY instance I have dealt with Apple their service has far surpassed what was simply 'required'. I'm actually surprised about the hold time, I've never been on hold with them that long :D

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm overseas and used Skype to call the sales support office in the US. When I purchased the machine the agent told me she could see it was an overseas, Internet call. I don't know if they differentiate their call center customers, but I wouldn't be surprised. I didn't mind though since I could work at the same time.

Reaction score
bought mine 6 weeks ago, got a free ipod, printer, (both with rebate) and they refunded me the difference of the price drop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 3.06 ghz; 4GB Ram; 500 GB 7200 RPM HD
I purchased my MBP on May 29, 2009. After speaking with Apple after the price drop they suggested that I send in my MBP, they'd refund the entire cost, and I could then purchase a new one (with the upgraded processor and HD, as well as the ~$300 price difference).

I was thoroughly impressed.

I'm now Mac-less (after having my first Mac for about 4 days) until I can place my new order and receive the shipment.

Reaction score
Based on the report of a rebate six weeks after purchase I called the Bridgewater Apple store in New Jersey and I was told that I did not qualify because they only go back 14 days after the product announcement. But I've definitely learned my lesson.

Terri

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ok, we can safely assume that there will be SOME change announced at WWDC. This always occurs. That date isn't exactly a huge secret. If you're so worried about being 'out of date' (and as far as I can tell there was no HUGE tech improvement, just packaging) wait til after WWDC to buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Will they do that for my iPhone? I bought a 3G about six weeks ago and paid the $199 for it. While I know they won't let me upgrade, perhaps...

And who does one call at Apple to try this?

Reaction score
I purchased my MBP on May 29, 2009. After speaking with Apple after the price drop they suggested that I send in my MBP, they'd refund the entire cost, and I could then purchase a new one (with the upgraded processor and HD, as well as the ~$300 price difference).

I was thoroughly impressed.

I'm now Mac-less (after having my first Mac for about 4 days) until I can place my new order and receive the shipment.

Did people who had success getting a refund or being allowed to return/repurchase originally purchase directly through Apple via telephone or internet or did they purchase through stores?

I am having trouble obtaining help from Apple Customer Service because my computer was purchased through a store that is not willing to give a rebate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 3.06 ghz; 4GB Ram; 500 GB 7200 RPM HD
Hi Ishnu,

I purchased from the online Apple Store. I suspect the refund and/or price difference rebate is dished out on a case by case basis. I think the rep. that I got on the phone (I was just calling to see if there was any option available to me, and was really expecting at most the price difference rebate) was new, and said I could send mine back in, and then went and talked with his manager and had to stick with what he said. :p I'm not sure though, I had just purchased the MBP.

Anyway, I would have been happy with my Mac even if they would have said 'tough luck'. :)

In defense against the comment, 'we all knew WWDC was coming up, why buy before then?', I was aware of WWDC before my purchase (I had read about it here) but was unaware of what could happen at WWDC. I figured it would just be iPhone announcements or maybe Mac machine announcements for late 2009. I wasn't aware that they could say, here's a new machine with minor changes, and here's a new price, and it's available today.

Anyway, you guys are great, and I'm excited for my new MBP to come in on Monday morning. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.