Just a few question before a switch.

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, I have been a PC users (and still am) for all my life. But I feel that my current laptop is giving out on me.

My exposers to Mac has been limited, however it was enjoyable (they are sooo pretty).

I been eyeing a the new Macbook Pro (sexy metel unibody) however, they are somewhat pricey. Here in Canada, I noticed the white Macbook is about $200 cheaper and more or less pretty close in spec. However, if you were me would you spend the extra $200 for the pro?

Also as a side question, is it true that Mac do not crash? (I have not exprienced it, but then again i am not a long term Mac user yet) Thats always been one of the things that got to me as a PC users. They always seem to pick a horrible time to do it (like right in the middle of presentation).

One last thing, is there anything I will miss about PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Get the Pro (unless you feel that a 15" is way too big) as you will NOT regret it!!!! They are so much better and give you so much more bang.

Mac's do crash, although I have only had it happen to me once in the since last October.

Depends what you use on a PC. Pretty much everything is covered software terms and it is a much more enjoyable experience all round. The only thing you might miss is decent money management software. I think Quicken are in the process of bringing a brand new piece out soon though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Windows and MBP

If you have windows install disks, and you miss something from Windows, you can use a virtual machine app like VirtualBox, which I use and works really well. Or, you can use Boot Camp.

But yes, definitely go with the Pro. Unless you think that 13" is a large screen, you should get the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I would not bother with the pro, but that's your choice. Macs have very rare crashes. It does not happen as often as on a windows machine. Windows applications interact so much that a failure in one program causes the whole computer to crash. With a mac, applications are more seperated, so if one program has a problem you can "Force Quit" it and the rest of your computer is usually fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you're not going to be doing much pro video or graphics work and you're looking to save some money, a regular Macbook should suffice. But a Macbook Pro is definitely worth the extra money if you can swing it. The keyboard and screen on the Penryn MBP from early 2008 are far superior than the those on the new unibody MBP's but the new ones run a bit cooler and the battery life is supposed to be better.

Whatever you do, don't get the new 13 inch MBP because it's not really a MBP. It's basically the old 13 inch Macbook bumped up into the Pro family for no apparent reason.

I don't miss anything about Windows. I still have to use VMware Fusion for Quicken but that's about it. If you play games you might miss your Windows computer, but as an adult, video games are an unimportant consideration when buying a computer. And, as always, you can still run Windows on your new Macbook if you want to.

Reaction score
I think it was worth the extra money for the pro, I have one and I love it. I have used a pc before, they only thing i miss is being able to read .exe files. You can however dual boot if you really miss using Linix or whatever. Macs do rarely crash. I've had it happen twice, the machine was however from 1996 and my family had all been using it from 1996 to 2004, so the machines are good and reliable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.