Loading a New Mac with Time Machine Back up

Reaction score
My set up is a G5 Imac with an external hard disk. My external hard disk contains my itunes music folder (too big to fit on internal hard disk).

I have set my time machine to back up both my internal and external at the same time.

I have now bought a new Imac with a 1TB internal hard drive.

Can I simply connect the time machine to the new mac when it arrives and load all the previous macs internal hard disk into the new mac AND load the itunes music library from the back up of the external disk into the new mac all in one, simple process?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. The reason you don't want to completely restore the Time Machine backup you made of your iMac G5 to your new iMac as one process is the different hardware involved. You'll need to do a selective restore of whatever data you backed up from the G5 internal HDD to the new iMac HDD.

The external drive iTunes folder and music can be copied to the new iMac HDD using the standard procedure for moving your iTunes library.

Be sure to read the following Apple KB article on how to move your iTunes folder\Library. Link

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you for the link, this is the method I used originally when the hard disk was getting full to move my library to the external.

So just to clarify, if were to just migrate my old info to the new mac using the internal back up, would it just be a case of plugging in the external hard drive as used before for my itunes library and new mac would recognise this and run as per my old set up. I would then use the method as per your link to transfer the library into the new mac?

God, am I making sense :[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So just to clarify, if were to just migrate my old info to the new mac using the internal back up, would it just be a case of plugging in the external hard drive as used before for my itunes library and new mac would recognise this and run as per my old set up. I would then use the method as per your link to transfer the library into the new mac?

You got it. :) Make sure, however, that when you move data from the old info folders to new ones that you don't overwrite any newer information. OS X should give warning in any event. Have fun.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.