need to install xp via boot camp, but I have 2 drives in raid

Reaction score
I have two 250gb drives in raid via the disk utility, and I want to install xp to run games.

I need to know which slice do I delete, and will I have any problems with my system after I do delete it?

I have seen some reports of problems with startup, and such, after deleting the raid configurations. So, I just want to be sure I am not opening up a huge bag of worms before I dive in.

thanks

mac pro by the way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Your only real option is to clone your system to a 3rd drive, then break up the RAID array. You can't break up a RAID array that was set up using Disk Utility without losing data. There is a 3rd-party solution to creating RAID arrays that offers more flexibility, but I don't know if you can install this after-the-fact.
SoftRaid Features

OP
snowmanZ
Reaction score
thanks for the help. one quick question, if I have two drives in mirror raid 1, why the **** am I going to lose data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
thanks for the help. one quick question, if I have two drives in mirror raid 1, why the **** am I going to lose data?

Oh... you didn't say it was a mirror. I was assuming it was a stripe. I don't imagine you would lose data then. The whole point of mirroring is to have a backup in case one fails. On the other hand, I don't know what sort of low-level formatting differences there may be on each drive that is required to make a software RAID array. Simply removing one drive may result in an unbootable system until you insert and configure a replacement for all I can say, and un-doing the RAID setup may well require re-formatting the drive. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can settle this.

OP
snowmanZ
Reaction score
OK I have found out some new things by changing my search criteria.

Here is an instruction from disk utility, "note: I should not lose any data what so ever"

To delete a RAID set:

Back up any important files.

In Disk Utility, select a disk in the set that you want to delete, and click RAID.

Select the RAID set.

If you’re deleting a mirrored RAID set and you see a Convert button, click it to convert the RAID set from version 1.0 to version 2.0.

Deleting a version 2.0 mirrored RAID set leaves a usable copy of the set’s files on each disk. Deleting a version 1.0 set leaves the disks unreadable.

Click Delete.

This is what I have been trying to figure out for some time, but the option to delete is greyed out, along with all other options in this Tab, except for making a new raid set.

I don't want to necessarily delete one of the drives, because for some reason I am scared that it will delete both of them.

Help would be appreciated on helping me delete the raid set. Yes I am logged in as the administrator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.