switching to MAc????

V

vijay

Hi ya!this is my first thread in this site...Im Vijay from India and i need help from u guys!

Im doingmy sound engineering.Im right now working on Cubase, Nuendo, Logic Platinum, Protool and Reason.I dont have any professional setup at home yet and going to set one!Im really confused whether to go for Mac or PC.Im currently workin on PCs but i heard ppl say tat macs are great...I dont have any problem in getting Mac but i want to make sure whether it has a clear advantage over PC else il stick with PC coz im learning these softwares on a PC.But now looking at the previous threads im sure you ppl clear suggest to go for mac...Can u justify your statements!Im pretty new so i dont have a clue whts the difference between Mac and Pcs.Moreover Macs are **** expensive over here.

If i want to buy a Mac which mac will suit me?I think u would have realised tat my work is very demanding but G5 is around double the cost of a G4 based i mac so im really confused here...Is G5 will perfom well in the above application than a G4? Thanks for ur help in advance!

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, um welcome from Mac-Forums.

I can think of one advantage that just came right out at me. You wont crash at random when your running your Applications. If your going to be doing that get a tower, G5 is going to be the wave of the future. I know its going to be a while, but it will happen. Who knows next mac update after 10.3 will be 32bit only?

OP
V

vijay

sound card?

i heard tat most macs have usb sound cards...if so then can i get an i mac and can plug in those?the same configuration in Power Mac is costlier by 40 % without the display.... is motu is good?or can i look for another manufacturer? please help me with this..

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
The standard hardware for a macintosh should be enough, and you wont need a sound card... although they will make it faster in the long run. I don't know of any good sound cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Well, I can tell you that most of the major music producers/artists out there use Macs to mix their stuff. And I have to assume a lot of them actually make the "master" on a Mac, and just e-mail it to the CD press :)

OP
V

vijay

then...

so can i get a imac then??? is imac is ok for me??? it is most cost effective for me... wht do u say?

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Depends on what you are looking to do. The iMac's don't have built in inputs. The PowerMacs do. I would personally would get a PowerMac if I was doing these types of things. You can get USB adpaters to add in an audio input to an iMac, but I don't think that is the right way to go if you are using it for production purposes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.