Trying to get my older SCSI scanners to work with 10.3.8 OS

D

digimon

I have two scanners 1-Microtek Scanmaker-III and 1 CanoScan FS2710. Both are SCSI and are not being updated anymore by their manufacturers. Now what I would like to know am I just wasting my time with this or is it worth trying to get them back on board with OS 10? I can get SCSI to USB2 cables or should I run them thru my SCSI card? I am not against starting over with a new scanner and cost wise it may work out to be the same. But these scanners were great scanners in there day and I paid quite a bit for them. It is kind of hard to just abandon them if they could be still used. Any help on this is appreicated.

Thanks, Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what kind of mac do you have? ID suggest running straight to the scsi card unless its
an inconvenience. if you can physically connect them, vuescan will force them to work with os x.

OP
D

digimon

I am running a G4 Duel 500Gz with 120GB HD, 768MB Ram. I have a SCSI card but have not used it in 2 years. I did plug in the Microtek yesterday and in Photoshop 7 there is no twain. So where do I find it? Does the SCSI card need to be updated? The card is a Adaptec PowerDomain 2940U2W. Wouldn't you know it NO updates to OS 10. I do not have anything else running thru the on SCSI in or out. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the card may need updating, but there wont be a twain, try using vuescan.

OP
D

deadfish

scsi/firewire adapter will save you headaches

macman was right about using vuescan, but you'll also want to pick up a belkin scsi/firewire adapter- it works flawlessly with the scanmaker iii and vuescan. I was not able to find the adapter at belkin's site, but I think it was 60 or 70 bucks when I got mine a few years ago. there is currently a very similar looking device by a company called orange on ebay for $1- it's worth a shot.

OP
D

digimon

Deadfish;
Is there any chance you could give me the eBay sellers page. I did a seach for the adapter and came up blank. I was almost ready to can this scanner when I got your post.
Thanks, digimon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.