iMac Problems

N

nko

I've been getting a LOT of kernel panics lately. Also, if I shutdown the computer the Right Way (TM), then unplug it, the next time I turn it on, it makes this weird, monotone noise, and then I think I can hear the HD chucking away for a while. I have to let it run for maybe 10 minutes before it stops, and I can restart my computer without the same thing happening.

Has anyone else had problems like these, or am I in the right mind to call Apple? I've got 1 month left on my 90 days of phone service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I've had my powerbook for hmm.. over a year and a half now and have never had anything like that before.. actually I have had practically no problems in that time.. I'd call Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
That happened to my brothers iMac. I tried everything... disk utility, fsck, installing hardware updates, I even finally just reinstalled everything. but it still persisted. He took it into the shop and it was a bad drive. they replaced it and he sold it and got a new eMac instead.

OP
N

nko

Got good news and bad news. Good news is, my RAM is bad (which explains random lockups I've been getting since I first got the thing, and fits nicely with the fact that they've been getting more frequent exponentially), and I can drag it in to CompUSA to have it repaired (the nearest Apple Store is.... not near, by any measure). The bad news? Blaster worm, I dare say. It'll take a week to get a new stick of RAM slid in to my machine. I could do it myself in ten freaking minutes. I could do it there, while they watch. It's only 10 miles away. It DOESN'T TAKE THAT MUCH EFFORT! *huff, pant, weeze*. They're really, utterly backlogged because of the MSBlast thing, and it looks like they're not the only ones. One week. I'm on my dad's *shudder* Windows box right now. Last night, I was extremely pained by the whole Apple / Mac / OS X / computers in general genre of things in the universe. I calmed down after I called Apple this morning and found out they could have someone fix it. And now, because of Windows, it ain't happenin' within a reasonable timeframe. I'm a computer geek, have been since I was 3, and am just about fed up with computers, what with all that's been happening lately!

But hey, maybe when I get this thing back, it'll make bootable CD's :)

OP
D

dagaz

If you're looking to make a bootable cd try bootCD. I've used it and it works great, you just have to be patient as it can take a long time (more than 20 minutes)

OP
N

nko

Just gotta vent, sorry :). CompUSA has had my mac for 8 days. The "Apple Tech" (read: guy who fixes Macs) got my computer in his cue today. I called on my cell phone, thinking it'd take a minute or two to check the status of my repair. After giving the guy my order #, he said to "hold on a sec." Three minutes later, I hung up. I called back when I got home (I'd been at school, which is about 20 minutes closer to CompUSA than my house). Before putting me on hold, he'd told me that it was scheduled to be "wiped," but no notes had been made as to whether or not it'd already been done. I was on hold because he was checking my computer himself. When I called back, I mentioned that nothing was to be "wiped." The RAM was to be replaced, and then I'm assuming they'd turn the thing on once to make sure it fixed the whole "three beeps indicated bad RAM" startup problem. His response? "Oh."

It's been 8 days. The Apple tech of course has gone home already, so it'll be at least nine. I asked if he thought it'd be ready by tomorrow. He gave a VERY vague, unsteady "probably...", so I asked what'd happen if it wasn't ready by tomorrow, the ninth day (I guess out of frustration). He didn't say anything.

The worst part? I can't really blame him. The Blaster worm still has them backed up that far. Still, what, did the tech guy fixing my computer, this "Terry" character, have 5 minutes before his shift was over, and decided he had to look busy somehow, so he just turned on my computer, let it beep, made a note of some kind, then tried again and again while staring at the clock?

I'da checked the status this morning, but their web site kept going out on me. It'd sit there loading a page, not saying anything about not being found or navigating to a bad link, for maybe 4 whole minutes before it'd just say the server wasn't found. Because of that, I had to find a phone book to get their number. When I got online this afternoon, their "check service status" link showed what seemed to be a database error message- and not a very helpful one at that. What's more, "Microsoft" was part of that error message. Insult to injury, and a nice dash of salt for their wounds.

And my dad's company still enjoys its recent purchase of a Windows 2003 server. A month or so after which it lost in a bid to keep Microsoft, a long time client, on their list of... clients. I could go in to everything my dad has to say about how their management seemed to work, but then I'm just venting more than I feel like doing :)

And I'm STILL not an "MS hater" or WinBlows hater, or anything like that. I just think a lot of people need to get a lot of S*** together (that could be "stuff" for all you know, and I just can't count *'s).

Mac-Forums forumers, thank you SO much for being there for me, and for being patient with my lack of patience!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Wow.. hey no worries :) And mac users think they are not affected by viruses, etc.. looks like he was most definitely affected by it.. bummer deal :(

OP
N

nko

Good news! My iMac's problem has been identified. I got a call yesterday noting that the problem seemed to be that the main board (whatever that doohicky may be) wasn't recognizing the RAM (gee, those CompUSA guys sure know their lingo! There's just soooooo much to computers!). So they were kind enough to not only tell me they figured out why it wasn't working, but they also went ahead and told me the reason! It sounded oh-so technical.

Wait a second. It also sounded familiar. It sounded.... sounded a lot like.... wait a minute, that's what I told them 10 days ago. Why did I even get a call? All they had to do was plug the thing in and listen to the three ear-offending beeps the machine makes. They're truely obnoxious and VERY loud. And it only takes a power cord, a push of a button, and about 2 seconds of your time.

But it'll be okay. Today or tomorrow, my replacement part should arrive in the mail from Apple (I'm assuming it's coming from Apple, seeing as I'm somewhat self assured that CompUSA carries PC-133 sticks of RAM). Best of all, my service is free!

Seriously, though, it happens I'm looking for computer certifications to go for, and I was seriously considering getting a cert from Apple to repair Macs. After this incident, it's looking ever-more lucrative. Does anyone know if being an Apple Tech allows you to diagnose and repair your own computer?

OP
N

nko

Been 14 days. The new RAM came in, but didn't solve the problem. A new main board is on its way, and should be here by the end of the week. At my request, it's been flagged as urgent, seeing as it's been a while. It's not even frustrating anymore, so I guess that's kinda good news :)

OP
N

nko

Excellent news; my iMac is back, it's 4 days earlier than I'd anticipated the earliest day to be, and Nathan's a happy camper again :)

All things considered, I guess it wasn't that long a wait. 15 days, after 9 days before it even got looked at and 6 days to send for one part, then another. Now, as long as Longhorn is more than just superficially secure, I'll be able to forgive Microsoft for the delays :). My faith in Apple is solid again. 6 days for two seperate, non-parallel orders. Not bad!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.