ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 and EyeTV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Look...I'm a recent switcher (and maybe this should go in the switcher section) and I just happen to own an ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 and have been fairly happy with it. ATI of course lists zero compatibility with the Mac OS, however I've seen since I switched that ElGato has this EyeTV thingee that looks eerily similar to my device...Oh Wait! It is my device! Great! Then I'll be able to use my device with my Mini! ...um....not exactly. Apparently this is the same device only rebranded for ElGato's use. They require a serial number for installing their software that supports these devices...however they don't sell the software standalone in anyway. Now I understand that their product is more expensive than it's PC counterpart and they don't want people buying the cheaper version and using it with their software without compensation...fair enough. I also understand that they've done significant work in producing their software. I don't want to rip them off, but I would like to be able to use their software with my device. I think it's idiotic to expect a switcher to go out and buy an identical device just to be able to have the same device when all they really need is the software. How about a special software only price that let's me just purchase the software? They could price it where it would still be the same price as purchasing it with their own branded hardware and therefore it wouldn't encourage regular Mac users to purchase the cheaper PC counterpart. Anyone think I'm off base here?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
No comments?!?

W

warrenbert

You're not off base here. Probably just some lawyer and/or MBA over there trying to figure out how to squeeze more bucks out of consumers.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well...for what it's worth (I don't know if there are many other switchers in this same situation)...I sent Elgato an email last week basically asking them if they would offer for a price their software for people that already owned the PC version of the TV Wonder USB 2.0 and had switched to Mac. I finally got a response from them tonight...for your viewing pleasure...I'm quoting it below:

Hi James-

Thanks for your interest in Elgato Products, and congratulations on your switch to the Mac.

We have had several customers write to us asking for software to work with their ATIWonder for the PC. Unfortunately, at this time, we are not offering individual licenses for PC Wonders. We are, however, actively pursuing this with ATI so that we may serve people such as you.

Please check back with us in a few weeks for an update.

Regards,
Matteen M.
Elgato Systems

Maybe there's hope! Hopefully this will come to fruition. I'd sure like to continue using the device that I purchased not very long ago for my PC. Maybe there's a happy ending in sight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.