Is this iWork 09 copy legal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
New iWork '09 Full Install, Unused on eBay, also, Apple Macintosh, Software, Computing (end time 06-Jun-09 00:17:16 BST)

I have bid on the above item (iWork 09) on ebay and am currently the winning bid.

I emailed the seller a question and he says that the disc is a new original disc, but he got it with his new mac.

Is he legally allowed to sell on a disc acquired with his mac?

Please let me know, because I only want legitimate software on my mac and will withdraw my offer if it is not.

Many Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iWork does not come free on new Mac's as iLife does. It is a separate disk and is purchased (though he may have purchased from somewhere and gotten it as a bonus). While the user may feel that it is unused, if he bought his Mac from Apple, they pre-install the iWork package for you. Not sure if the Apple stores do or not, probably do if you ask them kindly.

As to whether it is totally legitimate to put on another computer or not, really is a matter of whether he has iWork installed on his machine and that is the only iWork 09 disk he has, doesn't matter if he personally did the actual install or not. No one would know, except to take the sellers word. If it was pre-installed and the seller has uninstalled it, then it still would be legal for you to have it on your machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.