• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

very noisey harddrive

Reaction score
do alot of maucis and video editing work....recently my hard drive is making alot of noise on the simplyest of task like zooming in on a piece of audio or video clip.... it kinda of the sound that my old pc used to make when i was running it to the max.... have been looking into it and they say that over 10.4... which i have that you dont need to freg as it does automatical

really reallly would love some help...

thanks in advance :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
What movie editing software do you use?

I use FinaL Cut Pro, Motion, Shake and Aperture (sound editing) and mine definitely doesn't make those sounds. To be honest, something's wrong if it makes noises on zooming in.

Make sure that all other programs/applications are closed when using "heavy" video editing software like Final Cut. If you are using iMovie, it really shouldn't be making that sound in the slightest.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
final cut express....cubase

i use final cut and cubase....not at the same time thou.... it just happened in last few weeks.... ran istat and all is running fine... its as i say as if its doing loads of work when its not.

is there any checks i can do....have about 100gb left of hd space so it not that either...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
I know that you can do an Apple Hardware Test in Leopard by holding down the 'D' key when starting up. But I'm not sure whether this is available in Tiger. Give it a try!

Regards.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If your HDD is making weird sounds. I would say back up your stuff just to be on the safe side.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know that you can do an Apple Hardware Test in Leopard by holding down the 'D' key when starting up. But I'm not sure whether this is available in Tiger. Give it a try!

Regards.

You need to have the OS X System Disc 1 inserted too.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for replys

thanks for taking time to reply :D think backup is a very good idea just incase....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.