iPhoto 09 how to use

Reaction score
Hi All,
Having recently purchased an iMac and installed iPhoto 09 I have a couple of questions,
1. On uploading some photos from a SD card and adjusting them, where exactly does iPhoto save them?
2. Is it possible to tell iPhoto to save my work to an external drive as I can see that the internal drive will become full if I continue to add my photos?
Is it possible to keep the original photos unadjusted as well as the adjusted ones?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. iPhoto saves them within a "package" in your Pictures folder. If you open Finder => Home => Pictures, you'll see a file called "iPhoto Library". Right-click on that file and click "Open Package Contents".

One word of advice: Apple encapsulates these files deliberately to protect the originals as well as any edits you make. You should use iPhoto's built-in tools to work with the files, otherwise you risks corrupting iPhoto's database and possibly losing data.

2. Check out this article: iPhoto: How to move the iPhoto Library Folder to a new location

3. iPhoto does this automatically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.