• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Man I'm so dumb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
I think I just bought an ibook g3.. it's in good condition, but i bought it before I read the tiny little letters -no os included- , so now i'm getting an ibook with no OS... GAH

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Are you sure you can't cancel the order, if you really don't want it without the os.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat said:
Are you sure you can't cancel the order, if you really don't want it without the os.

I mean, I want it... lol, but I don't really have money for the OS, right now. It's a good ibook

Apple iBook G3 600mhz, 640mb, 30gb, DVD, Warranty!!

Reaction score
maybe the OS is installed, but the install discs were just not included

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, okay. I don't know what to say, but if you do borrow the OS from someone. The warranty might void, if the warranty is Apple's, that is, if you ever have take the computer to apple. See if you can borrow the os, and save up money for tiger or panther in the mean time.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat said:
Oh, okay. I don't know what to say, but if you do borrow the OS from someone. The warranty might void, if the warranty is Apple's, that is, if you ever have take the computer to apple. See if you can borrow the os, and save up money for tiger or panther in the mean time.

Ok, it has the OS, but they recommend loading a new one, so I'll just borrow my friend's OS x and install a freash install.

Unit just came in and has passed all hardware checks. The iBook is used and does show usage with light scratches. May also have a minor crack on the case. Screen is in good condition with no dead pixels and the keyboard is in good condition. I list my items off of a spreadsheet so I can't be much more specific on the description. The unit comes with no cds, manuals, and we recommend loading a new OS. The Apple G3 iBook is loaded with:

* 600mhz Processor
* 640mb of Memory
* 30gb Hard Drive
* 12 inch Screen
* CD-ROM Drive
* USB, Firewire
* Modem, Ethernet
* Battery (not tested and not covered under warranty)
* Power Adapter

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iphix said:
Ok, it has the OS, but they recommend loading a new one, so I'll just borrow my friend's OS x and install a freash install.

Unit just came in and has passed all hardware checks. The iBook is used and does show usage with light scratches. May also have a minor crack on the case. Screen is in good condition with no dead pixels and the keyboard is in good condition. I list my items off of a spreadsheet so I can't be much more specific on the description. The unit comes with no cds, manuals, and we recommend loading a new OS. The Apple G3 iBook is loaded with:

* 600mhz Processor
* 640mb of Memory
* 30gb Hard Drive
* 12 inch Screen
* CD-ROM Drive
* USB, Firewire
* Modem, Ethernet
* Battery (not tested and not covered under warranty)
* Power Adapter

and it does have the DVD drive, so do you think it's good? I bought it for 479

12_1_b.jpg

pic of it

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, then you're all set. Just remember, what I said about taking it to Apple for repairs.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat said:
Oh, then you're all set. Just remember, what I said about taking it to Apple for repairs.

What do you mean?

Repairs for what?

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iphix said:
What do you mean?

Repairs for what?

Is there anyway I could cover scratches with some paint or something?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you said it had a warranty, you might not want to have your friend's os on your computer, if you should ever send out your mac for repairs. I was at the apple store once, and the Apple store employee had to explain to a lady on the phone that she could not use a os that was not hers, because the employee said it was against Apple's policy or against the law, it's either one or both.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat said:
Since you said it had a warranty, you might not want to have your friend's os on your computer, if you should ever send out your mac for repairs. I was at the apple store once, and the Apple store employee had to explain to a lady on the phone that she could not use a os that was not hers, because the employee said it was against Apple's policy or against the law, it's either one or both.

Oh, yeah. I'm going to mess around and make sure it's good first. What are come common problems with ibooks that you would want to send in for repairs?

This is my convert, tired of windows, so I'm buying this ibook , I don't know much about them.

Reaction score
I should think that Tiger will be out in a few months so I'd just save up for that.

I take it that the warranty isn't from Apple but from the company where you bought it from ? If not and you at some point get problems and have to take the ibook back for repairs just say that you have lost the CD's because in theory it's true as Apple don't sell computers without the software.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think, logic boards were a problem with iBook G3, but I'm sure you won't be needing to use the warranty.

Reaction score
Don't run the ibooks battery completely flat as this isn't good for it. You can load it up whenever you like as it has no memory effect and not using it will not pre-long it's life as it has a metal plate which will in the end be eaten away.

Here are my tips on looking after an ibook:

1. Don't drop it into vats of boiling water

2. Driving over it with a car is not good

3. Using a scratch pad to clean the screen isn't such a good idea either!!!.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

They are most of the time trouble free but if you have any problems then you know where to find us. I hope you enjoy your new ibook !!! :cool:

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and add to the list, don't use your iBook as a cutting board.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If i have it plugged in ca, will the battery still run out?

Reaction score
What's plugged in ca ?

Do you mean plugged into a electricity supply, if you do then, no the battery will not run out it will just keep charging itself up when needed.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, thats what I meant. Thanks.

Man, this ibook g3 is loaded with memory. 640 mb

J

JSchultz

iphix said:
Yeah, thats what I meant. Thanks.

Man, this ibook g3 is loaded with memory. 640 mb

Where did you buy from? Thats a great deal, odd about coming with no OS though.

I bought a refurbed 700 mhz combo drive for 550. i think you got a steal, as my hdd is only 20gb, and mine only comes with 128mb ram, and i have to drop in my own 512.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.