admin, but no rights to change name

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought myself a mac and have a question.
I am the only account on the machine and I'm admin, but when I try to change the name of an app (Handbrake copy.app to Handbrake.app) it says that I do not have the right to change its name. I did change a lot of other names though. Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Saber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
not sure if it affects the app working properly or not if you do this but you need to right (control) click on it and hit "Get Info" and look and the permission settings for the particular file you want to change and then change it accordingly.

look at the bottom of my Safari get info for an example. hit the padlock and type in your admin password to make changes.

picture1arz.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, that indeed did the trick. :)

do you happen to know what the problem is when I cannot make an alias from a .app file?

when I right click, the option 'make an alias', just isn't there.

greets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Once you've made your alias, logoff, the log on again. If it still isn't there, try searching for it with Spotlight just to double check!

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
to be honest i am not sure what you are referring to? i have never tried to make an alias for an app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.