• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie '08 question

Reaction score
Hello,

I've spent the past several hours creating a slideshow of many images, videos, and songs in iMovie '08.

The images, videos, and songs are all from my external hard drive that I have plugged into my computer.

I am trying to make it so that I can save the iMovie project onto my external hard drive and that I'll be able to open it on another computer.

So far, no luck. When I attempt to open it on another computer, "My First Project" is all that will show....no sign of the actual slideshow I've created.

I just spent an hour waiting for iMovie to export the movie to my external drive, and it's just an m4V file that cannot be edited.

Any ideas???

Thank you,

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm confused. Did you try to open it in QuickTime?

Out of curiosity, what do you do to create an .m4v file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
Are you trying to make the resulting video playable on another computer?

To open the iMovie Project on another computer you'd need all the media available to that computer in the same place you have it available to yours.

To create a single movie which encapsulates your timeline in the project you need to go to the share menu and choose one of the export methods to write out a file that will be portable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.