How Do I Delete a Program That Will Not Close

Reaction score
I recently downloaded an app from Vision Objects that starts up automatically when I turn on the computer. It does not work, but I cannot uninstall it because it is open. I've used appdelete, but all that does is move the files to the trash. When I try to empty the trash, it will not remove those files because the app is still open.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
system preferences > accounts > admin account > login items > highlight app > hit the - sign below that box to delete the program from starting up when you fire up your mac

you can then go to activity monitor in applications > utilities > activity monitor and force quit then app and then delete it or restart your mac and it wont load at start up and then delete it

Reaction score
Solution Found

Open "Spotlight"> in there type "Activity Monitor" > open it. In there find your program and quick on a big red button at the top that says "QUIT." After that you should be able to remove your program from "Applications".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wow a three year old question answered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.