• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie transitions not working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 4,1 running Lion
Recently got imovie 09 and noticed that I can't add transitions between clips. I will click on one of the transition effect icons and drag them between the clips but nothing happens? Removed with Appcleaner and tried reinstalling but that didn't do anything. Repair disk permissions also didn't help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
How long are the two clips and how long is the transitions set for. My wild guess is that one of the clips is too short for the transition time. This can be an issue in Pro software.

If the transition box is in the project between the clips, you could try double clicking on it to shorten the time value.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 4,1 running Lion
The first clip is 2:32 long, second one is 12:52 long.
There is no box between the clips to adjust transitions but under project properties it says transition duration is 0.5s.

I a complete newb at video editing, so to make sure I'm not doing something else wrong here's what I do.

1. Import video
2. Highlight video section, right click, reject selection
3. File, move rejected clips to trash, resulting in two clips
4. drag transition between clip but nothing happens?

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Before number 4, you have to create a Project and drag the clips up into that. Your steps don't describe doing that. The area you are rejecting ranges in is the Event area, not the editing project area which defaults to the top left.

I suggest you review the online Apple iMovie tutorials.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 4,1 running Lion
Yay, you were right about not using the editing project area. Moved the clips over from event area (bottom) to editing area (top left) and everything works perfect now.

I'll definitely look at all those tutorials to make sure I don't make anymore stupid mistakes, haha.

Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.