Help with first Mac.

Reaction score
I have been using Windows since I started using computers. I recently received a Power Mac G4. With Leopard.

Model Name: Power Mac G4
Model Identifier: PowerMac3,5
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Processor Speed: 1 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.3.3f2

What I want to know is how do I get rid of all the applications and files that I don't want. The computer runs a little slow so any help speeding it up would be great. Also, I would like to customize this computer as much as possible making it my Mac, you know? Basically I need a crash course in Mac, I want it to be a fast, secure, customized, sweet computer. Any help would be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
To get rid of an app, just drag it from the Finder to the Trash. You can also use a free app like AppCleaner or App Zapper to remove all the miscellaneous related files.

There are numerous books on how to switch to a Mac, but if you just want the broad strokes and get started quickly, there are lots of tutorials at apple.com

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

The iLife tutorials are good too.

Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

There are lots of helpful tips in the business theater that aren't strictly for business uses.

Apple - Business - Theater

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My approach would be to create a new user for you which gives access to various apps if you want to use them - they can sit there and do little except use up space. Once you have your User set up - make sure it has admin privileges then delete the one that came with the computer and then repair permissions - see Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities. Then things should run a bit better. If still no better i would download the leopard combo updater and apply that, see Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Adding user

New User set up in System Prefs/Accounts/ click the + in left pane to add new User.

OP
B
Reaction score
Question: When I used Safari or Firefox, it uses about 98% of the CPU. This doesn't make sense to me. If their is a .GIF on the webpage it will take quite a while to load and really bog the computer down. Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.