Buying Advice - iBook or Powerbook

Reaction score
I'm a recent switcher; I already own an iMac G5 20". It has 1 gig of ram and a 160 Gb HD. It screams, and i'll never go back to windows; I've had to best experience switching to macs.

Anyway, I am a mobile DJ, and I use a combination of CD's and my 20 GB iPod to play music. I am looking at gettting a second machine to sit next to my dj console to show all my playlists and also to play music off of, rather then the iPod. In the future I may buy a projecter and project the iTunes visualizer onto a white screen. I would use it on the weekends when I am DJing, when I go on vacation (2-3 times a year), and during the summer when I work at a summer camp for a month. I may also occasionaly use it around the house instead of moving my iMac. However, my iMac will still be the primary machine that I use everyday. I wont need to do too many intensive things on the laptop, only store music, photos, and other basic usage such as using Safari and Microsoft Word. Is an iBook enough? Or do I need to step it up to the Powerbook? I would probably buy the 12" version either way, as I am looking for portability. I would also upgrade to at least 512 mb of ram. What do you guys think?

E

Echo_

ibook would be enough but... if youd like and have the cash for a powerbook go for it
also if you have a lotta music the biggest hd on the 12 in ibook is 80 gigs while the biggest one on the 12 in pbook is 100 gigs in case you dont want an external hd and if you need the extra space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
For what you would be using a 'Book for, the iBook would suffice. I have a 14" iBook myself, and I am very pleased with it. It runs music apps like a champ and it is pretty snappy. Sure the PowerBook has some nicer bells and whistles, but for what you describe, the iBook would be just as good and cost less.

Reaction score
I don't know if you would need it or not but an iBook doesn't have an audio input. Just something to think about.

X

xthisisRomancex

as stated above there is no audio input on the iBook but if that is a problem you can pic up a griffin imic for 35.00 which will, give you a audio input

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
xthisisRomancex said:
as stated above there is no audio input on the iBook but if that is a problem you can pic up a griffin imic for 35.00 which will, give you a audio input

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll probably end up going for the iBook, but I'm going to wait a month or so. If I end up building up some extra spending money, I'll splurge for the Powerbook.

An audio line in would be good, I just need to figure out if there is a way to go out from the mixer and in to the 'book, then just set iTunes to display the visualizer according to what is coming in the Audio In. Anyone know if there is a way to do this in iTunes? That would help a lot thanks again.

--------------------
Lee
Watts Up Productions
http://www.wattsupproductions.com/

Reaction score
If you are getting a 12in regardless, I think the iBook is the way to go.

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
mynameis said:
If you are getting a 12in regardless, I think the iBook is the way to go.

Thanks. I think I'm going with the iBook.

J

jessica

I would go with the ibook and imic. Hands down. If the ibook is going to sit around for about 40 weeks out of the year while you aren't DJ'ing or at camp or on vacation, then do not spend the extra money on the pbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.