My current battery charge is 99% and I have less than 2 weeks with my MBP

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my MBP on may 19, and everything was fine. I heard about coconut battery and the battery capacity went over the original (from 4600 to 4702), but then, I started to notice a decrease on the battery capacity.

Then I knew about the calibration process :S

On thursday, I did everything this site says
Mac OS X 10.4 Help: Calibrating a MacBook or MacBook Pro battery

But... when I was in the part of running out of battery after I charged completely, my sister took my MBP and closed the lid, so the computer went to sleep :S

I turned it on again until the MBP went to sleep again because of low battery.

I let it rest for 6 hours, then I fully charged again.

Today I notice that current battery capacity is 4588, lower than the original (4600), so my maximum charge is now 99%

:(

What's wrong?? I started to notice a decrease before the calibration process, so I don't know what could be my mistake.

If I get another MBP because of the warranty I don't want to screw it up again.

Reaction score
Are you seriously posting about a 12 mAh decrease in your reported capacity? For one thing there is error in what System Profiler/coconut battery report as the capacity. Also, batteries start losing capacity as soon as you start using them, so you shouldn't expect yours to remain at 100% anyways.

If you've calibrated it properly and continue to do so once a week or so you'll be well within the 80%/300 cycles/1 year specification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yeah, the reading is not entirely accurate and fluctuates a little. Batteries of any kind start to lose some of its capacity as soon as you start using them. But your battery will be fine. I've had my MBP for a year and it's at 80% capacity, right where it should be.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Give the OP a break, it's a new machine that cost lots of $$$. I'd probably be concerned too. O:)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Here here chscag. What you are experiencing is normal so do not worry about it and keep using the forums please.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Disconnect your system and run on the battery until it gets to about 94% of less and then plug power brick back in. It should charge it up to 100%. Normally the system will not start charging the battery until it drops below about 94%. I have found this to be true on my old ThinkPad, iBook and PowerBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sure sounds like your batt is running perfect. No worries.

Clay

Reaction score
Do not worry, the capacity goes down slowly, I charge mine all the time, then take it out, charge again a little bit, etc. My mac is now over 6 months old (6 months 22 days to be exact) and is at 97%, don't worry about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.