• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't find video effects?

Reaction score
I'm new to Apple- I have the new Aluminum MacBook with 2 GHz and 2 GB.

I just started using iMovie, and no matter how many tutorials I watch, I just cannot find the video effects for the life of me. I've tried double clicking the video clips, right clicking, trying to find it everywhere. It's the iLife '09.

Can anyone help me? I'd really like to start making movies. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In a project, double click on a clip and an inspector window appears. In about the middle you'll see a 'Video Effect:' popup. You'll also be able to set the clip up for speed adjustment and stabilization. There are tabs at the top of that window for other things too.

For transitions between clips look to the right in the middle of the whole editing window for the button next the the globe.

OP
A
Reaction score
See, though, I've tried double clicking already.. all that happens is that clip plays. I'm so stuck :/

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Double clicking doesn't do anything,but plays the movie. I tried to find the effects everywhere, but couldn't find anything :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
To fix the double clicking opiton;
Open the iMovie Preferences.
Click on the Browser tab.
Choose Edit where it says "Double-click to:".​

In the following cases you need to have a clip selected.

Another option is to use the Window menu and choose "Clip Adjustments", or just press the letter 'I'.

Lastly choose the little gear symbol with a drop down arrow next to it. See the attached image.

Clearly you both need to learn how to experiment. Don't be scared. Dive in with some test video. That way you won't kill something you want to keep. :)

iMovieClipTools.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for the help, and I have tried doing some test videos but none of the solutions you posted were applicable to my iMovie? I don't know if it's the version, or what. There is no Browser tab in preferences, and no clip adjustment option in window. The only thing I can change on a clip is the duration, color, whether or not to crop it and audio adjustments.

Reaction score
Effects will only work on the clips in the Project library, not the Events library. Try assembling a random collection of clips in Project, then try effects again.

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay, I did that, but still, it only just plays the clip/video. This is weird! And again, I don't see any way that I can change the double click option. Should I try re-installing iMovie?

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problems as alabaster. I am not afraid to experiment and I have screwed tons of clips, but I just cant find video effects anywhere! Another thing that is not working is the duration of the transitions in between the clips! Supposedly by double clicking on the little transition square I can control how many second I want it to be, but it doesn't happen whatsoever. It is just standard 0.5 seconds and there is nothing I can do (and I tried).

Do we have a wierd version of iMovie? Is it possible to reinstall it if it was already build in my mac?

Reaction score
ok alabaster, i think you have the same issue I have. I have iMovie 08 version and I think you do too that is why both of us do not have all those effects and stuff. It was possible to upgrade iMovie to 09 version for $10 only (if you bought your Mac during a certain period of time), but unfortunately the $10 upgrade of iLife was available till March 28th only (I called Mac support) and is not available now for that cheap. I think me and you will have to upgrade iLife for $99 :'(

OP
A
Reaction score
WOW, verb, I definitely don't think I'll be upgrading, then. I just got my Mac a few months ago! So, shouldn't I have iMovie 09? Weird stuff.

Reaction score
To find which version of iMovie you have, Open iMovie and under the iMovie menu select About iMovie and it will tell you what you have.. iLife is $79 not $99 so it is worth it if you have iLife 08 and don't have iMovie HD to go along with it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah, there it is, I have 08. It's pretty dumb that they'd make a version with no effects at all.

Reaction score
Yeah the only effect you can make is by playing with the light, but that is it :( Well may be some of your friends bought iLife 09 and you could get it from them...it is illegal, but not everyone has 79$ or 99$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well what! Alabaster, you said you had iLife 09; "It's the iLife '09." If you can't get that right, you won't get the right help. :Angry-Tongue:

I just answered this somewhere else. If you bought your Mac after a certain date, then you can get iLife 09 for $9.95 shipping. Call Apple for the details as I've already forgotten them. They have a web page that says this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a story of getting that iM09 upgrade.

Reaction score
they do not do upgrade for $9 any more. I called them. They did it until March 28 and now it is only available for a regular price :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.