• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What is the Best configuration for video editing

Reaction score
HI, I am a PC video editor. Not by choice, I just couldn't afford a Mac when I started out. I am now making the long awaited switch to Mac.....
I have used Mac off and on and I have been trying to do my homework but I really need someone who knows what they are talking about. Nobody seemed to know anything down at the mac store.
So here is my quest......I want to get a new Mac Pro but I want the Best configuration for video editing I can get. I am shooting on a Canon 5D Mark 2, HD, 2k video files. The custom Avid PC I have now cannot handle!

Can anyone help me build my machine?
Specs Please:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Any mac pro configuration can handle what you are doing. If you can afford the dual processor 8 core config, it would give you more longevity as things change / upgrade.

If you're getting an older Mac Pro, get as much ram as you can

If you're getting a new mac pro, get memory in banks of 3 to take advantage of triple channel ram.

As you're running a dedicated video card in a mac pro, any will do ok. Personally I'd either look at the 4870 series radeon or the 8800gt (thats the higher end card from the early 08)

I'd probably go cheap on the HD's and just get one apple drive then populate with my own additional drives - HD's are cheap =)

both FCE and FCP will edit HD video and use multiple cores. FCP will give you more flexibility due to its greater set of features and controls. FCP is part of Final Cut Studio which has a lot of wonderful tools in it.

My system config handles 1080i without issue in my current editor (fce since I can't afford FCS atm). I use lightroom w/ stills from various cameras, and many times I have FCE, lightroom, itunes and safari open and have no problems editing my video footage. And I'm using an early '08 8 core w/ 8 gig ram, 1tb boot, 2x 320 aux drives (1 for scratch, 1 for putting things until I find a better place ;) ), 1x 400 gig drive (bootcamp drive) and a DROBO w/ 2.6 TB worth of drives for external storage.

Basically, I'm saying you can get just about any mac pro config. The single quad core will be close in power to what I have ( a little less on some things, a little more on others based upon the numbers I've seen), but the dual quad core allows for more ram and really, a longer life as newer software comes out that may take more advantage of more cores.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.