Sharing conundrum!

Reaction score
Ok, here's the overly complicated setup:

I live in a hotel. I have access to a wifi connection that requires me to login each day through a portal. This is easy on my mac, I just connect to the network, open up firefox, get automatically redirected, put in my details and bam! I'm connected.

I'm trying to connect a games console to the internet and obviously can't do it the same way. I figured that the best way to get my console connected would be to share internet from my Mac.

I have a Belkin Wireless G USB dongle connected to my Mac (MBP, late 2008) as well as the obvious Airport that's built in. Is there any way that I can create a wireless network from my USB dongle so as to sort of..."bridge" the internet between my Airport card and the USB dongle...thus giving me a hotspot to connect to on my games console (a Wii, if that makes any difference).

Please tell me if none of this makes sense and I'll try to re-write it. The annoying thing is that I'm not 100% sure what I'm talking about myself.

Help? Please??

Reaction score
not sure exactly how to do it but i can give you some tips you can try.

You might want to eperiment setting up an adhoc network. Basically it's sharing the internet from your mac. Once you're logged in on your mac the IP address is unlocked to you and then your computer is acting like a software router so to speak to your wii. I found this link?

Ad hoc networking | Utilities - Page 1 | Macworld

If the wii is wireless this is easy you search for open wifi spots and it should see your mac no problem.

If the wii is only ethernet then you might have to create an wifi to ethernet bridge. To tie the to together.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmm, I can see that that wants to work. My Wii sees the network....but the computer is no longer connected to the internet. For some reason, I can't get the USB dongle to connect to the Wifi hotspot. Is there any way of setting up the Ad Hoc network using the USB dongle...and using airport as the connection to the internet.

Here's a diagram of what I'd like to do:

Internet----router----AirportCard-Macbook-UsbDongle----Wii

Rather than:

Internet----Router----UsbDongle-macbook-AiportCard----Wii

Again, does that make sense...?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.