• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Political Party

Reaction score
When the Mac Party controls Congress:

1. Bill Gates will be required to apologize in general.
2. Only Mac owners will be allowed to live on the coast and own sports cars.
3. PC owners will be required to live in the midwest, preferably in states with summer crabgrass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
This thread is, to be blunt, stupid. There is no point at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

3. PC owners will be required to live in the midwest, preferably in states with summer crabgrass.

Will we have townhomes, condos, or a full house to ourselves each?

Oh... I'm a pretty big guy, and tall to boot. Make sure my sports car is roomy and doesn't sit too low. I have a bad back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
You know that Mac is a pc too right? There will always been a need for windows based computers, just as there is for unix/linux and Macs as well. So as it has been said this is a pointless argument and just meant to stir up problems.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
His point is threads like this usually start a flame war between Windows and Mac users.

I am sure your intent is to have fun, but we see it all the time. As long as things stay light hearted and fun it's fine.

OP
Steve1776
Reaction score
Will we have townhomes, condos, or a full house to ourselves each?

Oh... I'm a pretty big guy, and tall to boot. Make sure my sports car is roomy and doesn't sit too low. I have a bad back.

1. Yes.
2. A Winnebago GT is being customized for you even as I type this.

OP
Steve1776
Reaction score
His point is threads like this usually start a flame war between Windows and Mac users.

I am sure your intent is to have fun, but we see it all the time. As long as things stay light hearted and fun it's fine.

Windows users are here?! Is there no place safe?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows users are here?! Is there no place safe?

Well there are also a lot of Dual users here that use both Windows and Macs. I have to use Windows in my job as a Windows networking tech but you will get no flames from me! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4

I thought I found a new party to vote for when I read the thread title, but didn't even get 2 out of 3 for me.

1 - Awesome
2 - Coasts are for vacation, thats it, and I personally do not like sports cars(some people like driving through mud and over rocks as opposed to just slinging around corners).
3 - I live in the midwest and just finished cutting my summer crabgrass(it grows faster so I get to play with power tools more often, how cool is that?)

Too bad, I was so excited at first....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there are also a lot of Dual users here that use both Windows and Macs. I have to use Windows in my job as a Windows networking tech but you will get no flames from me! :D

Hey don't forget us "quad" users too, I windows, Mac, linux, and freebsd/opensolaris.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hey don't forget us "quad" users too, I windows, Mac, linux, and freebsd/opensolaris.
Or the quintuple users (might be sextuple shortly) - Mac OS X 10.5, FreeBSD 7.2, Ubuntu 9.04 (x64), Windows 7 RC and Windows Server 2003! I love VMs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe I keeps all windows under the same branch unless they are servers. But man if we break it down into different version the list would be kinda long for me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sounds like you have me beat then. I read your post and got interested in Solaris so that's being downloaded right now. I also had an OpenBSD VM up until recently but that was replaced by FreeBSD because it plays a little nicer with VirtualBox. Any recommendations for a free OS (aside from Linux or the BSDs)?

I love large HDs - all the room I need to run all these VMs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Solaris is very similar to linux, and many solaris features are supposed to hit towards us mac users. If you have some play time I say check out Moblin, and maybe eyeOS (Cloud computing OS, aka fully web based OS.) I Dab a little bit into fedora core. When you live in a home full of computer based majors friends the home is full of computers that are quad booted.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moblin might be a nice one to try, just to see how development is coming along.

True, the *nix OSes are all pretty similar (hence why I can easily get pkgsrc to work on my Mac) but each has its own little idiosyncrasies. There is so much I can do on a Linux box that I can't do on a BSD box yet such as compile a custom kernel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah with all the *nix's the come and go, each one gains and loses users depending on the day and month. But yeah I have been following Moblin because I can see that becoming a powerhouse for embedded devices.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Dab a little bit into fedora core.
I never really got into FC and the reason is simple - yum. Yum is (maybe I should say was) the worst package manager I have ever seen. The best is pacman from the Arch Linux project - really fast and powerful.

Yeah with all the *nix's the come and go, each one gains and loses users depending on the day and month. But yeah I have been following Moblin because I can see that becoming a powerhouse for embedded devices.
While I know this wouldn't happen because of paradigmatic differences but it would be great if the *nix community could pool together the collective talent and resources of each camp (Linux, BSD, *nix). The sheer number of distributions is at once its best strength and worst weakness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sheer number of distributions is at once its best strength and worst weakness.
Oh yeah completely for example I love and hate ubuntu. Many strong points yet so many points that make my head just hurt so much. I'm trying to keep my eye on Oracle since they seem to be buying up so many company's such as Sun and some server virtualization company(With their eyes set on another one.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.