2 Q's: Changing User Name & iTunes genre icon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" | Intel Core Duo 2.66 GHz | 300 GB HD
Hi!

I finally took the plunge and am now the proud owner of a MacBook Pro 17". :) I haven't used a Mac in eons, and even then, it was in a computer lab at school, so my Mac acumen is definitely at newbie status. I've had some disappointments, but, as was pointed out to me, I'm still thinking like a Windows user.

My first question is with regards to my user name/shortname. I want to change it. I've tried changing it already, using the instructions at Apple's support site. Mac OS X: How to change user short name or home directory name
It didn't exactly go smoothly and my old shortname was still there no matter what I did to get rid of it. I basically want to remove any evidence of that name on my computer whatsoever. Based on my experiences so far, (like all of my downloaded CD's disappearing...figured that one out though, so they are back), I'm beginning to think the easiest means of doing this will be to reinstall the OS, etc. I really don't have much on my Mac yet (other than the aforementioned CD's), so in terms of backing up stuff, there isn't much. And I haven't entirely "moved in" yet, so I haven't gotten a lot of settings customized yet. Soo....my question is, what would any of you Mac gurus suggest in terms of getting rid of my old user name. Should I reinstall or not?

My second question concerns the genre icons in iTunes. I downloaded a Louis Armstrong CD and it was identified as "Easy Listening". I don't mind the designation, but it seems that iTunes doesn't have an icon for this category. I found an icon and attempted to put it in the "genres.plist" but it doesn't work. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
I don't know about your itunes problem's solution...
But with changing the name of your Home Directory, you can just simply create a new Admin Account with the name and everything that you want and then delete the old user account completely. I hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I don't have an answer for the iTunes question, but I had to change my short name myself recently.

Here is the link I used. It took me all of maybe 5 minutes.
Changing the short username in Leopard | Mac OS X | Macworld
You'll want to follow the last set of directions "The Full Monty."

:)

Edit* Credit goes to Louishen for that link, he posted it in another thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.