• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac Mini - Boost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
I know the Mini just came out and all
but do any of you know when the upgraded version is coming out.

i want one but i dont think that that 256Mb entry level ram and the 32mb graphics is gunna cut it for me.

im not fussed about the video memory, but at least get a better card, or keep the same one with mroe video memory, they should use the same card as in the powerbook or similar.

I would definately need 512 ram. I will probably wait till they ship em with tiger(10.4)

so yeah ne ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
mac mini boosts

Pattay said:
I know the Mini just came out and all
but do any of you know when the upgraded version is coming out.

i want one but i dont think that that 256Mb entry level ram and the 32mb graphics is gunna cut it for me.

im not fussed about the video memory, but at least get a better card, or keep the same one with mroe video memory, they should use the same card as in the powerbook or similar.

I would definately need 512 ram. I will probably wait till they ship em with tiger(10.4)

so yeah ne ideas
In my opinion, if an upgrade will come, it will come at WWDC 2005 in June, although, if they release tiger before, it may come then. But nothing soon.
Still they are easy to upgrade the ram (not the video card 8-( and you can get cheap ram from crucial.com and the like.
I suggest...buy one anyway, the graphics card really is very good, and can run many games and demanding applications with no hiccups.
So buy one!
Alex

R

richiestang78

Pattay I think you expecting the Mac Mini to be more then it is. It is the lowest entry level mac for people who either have another mac and want another for basic usage or for PC people who want to give Mac A try. I dont think you will see a upgrade in graphics, ram or speed all that much. If you want a better comp get the iMac, Apple will not make a computer with the same specs as a iMac and half the price, not going to happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
richiestang78 said:
Pattay I think you expecting the Mac Mini to be more then it is. It is the lowest entry level mac for people who either have another mac and want another for basic usage or for PC people who want to give Mac A try.

I agree. I've noticed so many threads here lately regarding disappointment with the mini's performance, features, or expandability, and inquiries about upgrading the hardware or "hopping up" these great little machines. Owners or perspective buyers really need to keep in mind that the mini is intended to be an low cost, entry-level machine with an exceptionally small form factor. As such, obvious compromises need to be made in certain areas, but that fact doesn't prevent the mini from fulfilling its intended role extremely well.

B

belkheldar

Mac Mini Is Fine

Not meaning to offend but thats a bunch of crap about the mini's performance. I got my mac mini (1.42gh 512mb) last week and since then have been able to happily record with garageband/logic (12 seperate tracks) and cut a two hour NZ holiday film using Final Cut Pro HD. I'm a newbie MAC convert BUT still... I keep hearing people go on about the performance but honestly - Ive never been so impressed with a computers performance period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No specs yet
belkheldar said:
Not meaning to offend but thats a bunch of crap about the mini's performance. I got my mac mini (1.42gh 512mb) last week and since then have been able to happily record with garageband/logic (12 seperate tracks) and cut a two hour NZ holiday film using Final Cut Pro HD. I'm a newbie MAC convert BUT still... I keep hearing people go on about the performance but honestly - Ive never been so impressed with a computers performance period.

You must be poor then! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
245_Trioxin said:
You must be poor then! lol
that was uncalled for man,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
R

redted

Padawan said:
I'm obviously much pooer than 245_Trioxin, oh to be so rich, but the mini is superb. I've just jumped ship from Windows XP and found the performance very good. OSX does not seem to crash and is very responsive. Bit lost in some areas of the OS and would appreciate a pointer to any links for noobs like myself.

T

Tuned MP5T

I think the Mac mini is perfect for first time Mac users. The bare minimum RAM should be 512.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.