• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Big brother is watching u!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So i got a letter the other day from comcast. They are apparently watching what i download from certain torrent sites. I had always thought that this was a myth that they actually monitored your internet usuage, but low and behold its not. They said i could be charged with copyright infringement, if this is so illegal, then why are torrent sites legal. I understand copyrighted movies, but i also read that downloading a torrent is just like renting a movie aslong as u delete it within a certain time frame.
Dont we have rights when it comes to someone monitoring what i choose to do with my internet service?
I currently switched to a proxy server in Canada where it is illegal to monitor internet usage., from what i have read.
Also downloaded peer guardian, which is a ip blocker.
Those were a couple of things i came up with reading some forums on how to keep comcast out of my torrent business, they may not work 100% but it will make them have to work alot harder to see what i'm doing.
Anyone else have experience with this?:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
So i got a letter the other day from comcast. They are apparently watching what i download from certain torrent sites. I had always thought that this was a myth that they actually monitored your internet usuage, but low and behold its not. They said i could be charged with copyright infringement, if this is so illegal, then why are torrent sites legal.
Because there are legal torrents.
Why can people buy lock-picking tools? Having the tools is fine.
Use them to break into someone's house and it's illegal.
I understand copyrighted movies, but i also read that downloading a torrent is just like renting a movie aslong as u delete it within a certain time frame.
It's nothing like renting a movie.
When you rent a movie, part of your rental payment goes towards the copyright holder by way of the rental service's agreement with the copyright holder to rent the movie.
When you steal it, then nothing is paid to the copyright holder.
Dont we have rights when it comes to someone monitoring what i choose to do with my internet service?
If it's in the service agreement when you sign up, then there isn't much you can do.
By using the service you are agreeing to certain terms.
If you don't agree with said terms, then nobody is forcing you to use the service.
I currently switched to a proxy server in Canada where it is illegal to monitor internet usage., from what i have read.
Also downloaded peer guardian, which is a ip blocker.
Those were a couple of things i came up with reading some forums on how to keep comcast out of my torrent business, they may not work 100% but it will make them have to work alot harder to see what i'm doing.
Anyone else have experience with this?:eek:
So you're openly attempting to circumvent service agreements and copyright laws so you can steal content.
Forum Guidelines said:
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here.
I think we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.