My MacBook Pro Is So Slow

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have had this particular MacBook pro for about a year. There was one time I spilled some Mountain Dew on it, so perhaps that is the cause for my problems, but Im not sure.

Basically, as the title suggests, its very slow.

-Upon turning, the desktop and dock appear, but it will take about 30 seconds AFTER clicking on an application for the application to open (This also occurred before spilling Mountain Dew on it)

-Safari sticks when I scroll down the page or go from tab to tab. It also freezes and closes

-This problem has occured so many times that I now use firefox. It is much better, but it still sticks and the pinwheel shows up on occasion

-When I click on a link online, the pinwheel icon shows up for about 5 seconds and THEN the link is activated (I have DSL)

-Sometimes, when more than 3 applications are open, it takes 10-15 seconds going back and forth using spaces. Other times, it just freezes or shuts the program down automatically

-For the first time ever, I was just surfing online, and the screen turned grey with a lot of lines all across it, almost like bad TV reception, I shut it off via the button, and rebooted it and it was ok. But still, not something that should happen.

Basically, internet or not, programs take a while to open, and scrolling down causes sticking. It is very sluggish to use, and also heats up to ridiculous temperatures.

Some information about my computer that may help:

-63 GB out of 186 GB used

-2 GB of Memory

-50% battery health :\

Thank You!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It does kind of seem like you have some kind of corruption mixed with maybe low ram depending on how many programs you have open and allow to open up upon osx startup.

I would just do a fresh install of osx

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It does kind of seem like you have some kind of corruption mixed with maybe low ram depending on how many programs you have open and allow to open up upon osx startup.

I would just do a fresh install of osx

I don't know that I'd go that far. The first rule of troubleshooting is to start with the simple and slowly move to the more complex.

An analogy I like to use is that if your car won't start, it's usually best to see if it has any gas in the tank before you start tearing the engine apart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.