• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Subtle but distinct differences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17
I want to move on from iMovie and am looking at Final Cut. Is there a way of defining the real differences between Express and Pro?

Basically, I want to edit up home movies and maybe composit some time lapse from a stills camera. I also want to be able post to a blog based website on a more regular basis. I'm thinking Express will probably do the job. I'm strictly amature, but do enjoy messing around with the good software.

Any guide links out there.?
C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For time lapse I've used iStopMotion. See my L.A. to Vancouver trip. There is no cross fades for that. If you want to do fades, then a video or slide show editor is required and even iMovie can do that.

Look at the specs between Express and Pro. Pro has features to use professional level import/export hardware. It also has the ProRes codec where Express might not. Finally, Pro comes with several other applications.

The pro users are expecting a new Studio version soon. I suspect it will be released when the new version of OS X will be released. Perhaps this Summer, or by a miracle, during the developers conference June 8th.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17
Thanks for that, I've used iStopmotion and very good it is too. I'll look in more detail at Express.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I used Premiere Pro 1.5 and Liquid Edition Pro 6.1 on the windows platform before switching to Mac, since I couldn't afford to get FCP, I bought FCE to hold me over (mostly, I edit graduation videos, slideshows, will be doing some video podcast work soon for where I work, and other misc. stuff) and to be honest, it has worked really wonderfully. For what I normally use it for (cutting video, adding audio, transitions, titles, slide shows, green screen) it's actually more then enough.

There are some things in FCP I wish were in FCE or available separately (DVD Studio, compressor); but I've used DV footage from a sony handycam and HD footage from a canon HF100 and FCE has worked wonderfully so far, and honestly I think you'll find it incredibly powerful (and possibly a bit intimidating if you've never worked with timeline based editing before). For home use, it's got a lot of features, and you can get some wonderful plugins for it if you want to extend its already incredible capabilities. There are quite a few free plugins (if you plan on doing slideshows with the burns effect (the basic method that stills are done in iMovie 08 (possibly other versions too, I just have 08)) you'll want to get a plugin to make it easier otherwise there is a bunch of manual stuff you will need to do. (check out: Auto Pan Zoom ) which is a free and very useful plugin to automate the process if you want the ken burns effect.

to kind of give you a feel for FCE - take a look at this video course on using it:

Izzy Video » Learn Final Cut Express 4 | Learn how to shoot, edit, and produce better video.

it's a free download, and although it's meant to work with you stepping you through doing the things on the program, you can get a feel for it watching the videos.

The only real negative is DVD production - if you're just going for home use, iDVD is great - if you want a bit more control and possibly to distribute copies of, IMHO iDVD isn't so great. DVD Studio Pro looks awesome, but is only available with Final Cut Studio (an older version can be found on ebay but...) I ended up compromising until I could afford FCS and bought moviegate which gives me just enough added control over the DVD creation to make me happy. It's one of the few things I haven't found my "ideal" solution for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.