Folders, folders, where are my folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I have had my Mac for several months now, and while not a Mac Genius - yet - I am pretty comfortable with all things Mac related. I do have one problem though that I can't seem to find the solution to, and I am guessing there has to be one.

When I want to save a document, image etc., to a particular folder, I cannot figure out how to get to that folder. To explain - In Windows you can save to subfolders by succession, into one then the next etc., but on my Mac I don't seem to be able to do this? An example would be - I emailed myself some images that I needed from my work portal, the emailed images arrived and I clicked on the down arrow under the little blue save box. Selected the image, which then gave me the window to choose what and where I wanted to save my attachment. I had already created a folder for these images on my desktop, but there seems to be no way of choosing anything other than "desktop." I also tried putting the folder in different locations, such as the little house (sorry) with my name on it, and even my passport, but all I can see is the master folder or device, but none of the subfolders. It is driving me a little nuts as I am sure there has to be a way to do this, and I am mighty frustrated that in spite of all my experimenting and research I cannot seem to find it?? Can anyone enlighten me please?:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Did you try clicking the little arrow down key next to the filename? I'm assuming at this point that this is where your problem is (and I apologize for the rest of this post if it isn't :) ) That will usually open up the standard finder window look where you can select the location you want the file to be saved to...

To make it h easier to follow - here are two screen caps of the save window from email when I right click on an attachment and select save, first one is the default pre-dropdown pressed window with limited options, the second is the post-dropdown window

Pre dropdown:
predropdown.png

Post dropdown:
postdropdown.png

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
That's the thing. If you are speaking of the blue box with the down arrow, if I click that all I am seeing are three choices - Save all or the little icon of the image or iphoto. I choose the little icon which is the closest that I can get to having some other choice than iPhoto or save all (wherever that goes...)

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Well - I feel like a total idiot. WHY oh why did I not click on that little down arrow as you pointed out. Guess the Mac genius thing, not to mention genius period, will have to wait for a while. And since we are here and I am obviously the village idiot, I still have not figured out how to add a screen shot to my forum post either?
However - THANK YOU, you have saved me eons of frustrating time that I could have spent being frustrated over something else. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
No problems, happy to help. Trust me, I've been at the village idiot position quite often (or so it felt) when I first switched several months ago, and I'm still learning where everything is :D

In terms of image insertion, there should be a little image icon where you can reply that you can click, or you can use the IMG tags (enclosed in [])

You will need to upload your photos somewhere. They may have photo uploading here, but I always use my own space to host photos and when I click on the image icon, I just paste the full http path to the photo, like my lower photo is:

http://www.totemhill.net/savesample/postdropdown.png

:D

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Nethfel - I don't mean to be a pain, but I just had to tell you again what a life saver your info was yesterday. I have to download images from my employer's portal, and there can be as many 400 image to do at a sitting. I started a project this morning and it was heaven to be able to cut out the second step of having to drag the downloaded image into the folder on the desktop. THANKS so much, and working on that uploading of screen shots thing. Thanks, thanks thanks
:D O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.