• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Dashboard vs. Konfab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Just an interesting read I found on my travels through the internet. Maybe you've read it maybe not, I found it quite interesting anyway.

Link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
good read, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
yeah, pretty good article, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
im probably not gonna upgrade to Tiger, so i say Konfabulator because i have it and its free...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
That's what I thought the first couple of days of using Konfabulator about it being free, then they'll put a nag widget on your screen to pay for it, but you can exit out of it, but then later on they will not let you get rid of the nag widget anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Konfabulator is definitely not free.

K

Kokopelli

I thought Konfabulator cost $25. Did they open Source it? Anyway I can see how the Konfabulator developers feel shafted but Konfabulator is not in the same league as Dashboard. Konfabulator is heavier, slower, and not as easy to write for. Did Apple take ideas form Konfabulator? I think so, but that is like saying that any browser with a back button stole the idea from Mosaic.

EDIT: Type then send. Not type, get a snack, read article, then send.

J

jessica

That was a good read. Don't know how the second poster read it so fast, but maybe it was that I read the Switcher document as well. Anyway, I heard of the Konfabulator program, but I did not know how inferior it really was. I do not want a resource hog on my machine. If I want that I'll go to Windows XP and run WinBlinds. That'll pretty much do it.

I for one am excited about being able to develop "gagets' as they're called. It really pleases me that something like that will be available. None the less the author of Daring Fireball has a huge point. What a great website that it.

As for Konfabulator, it is not free and just because you can get away from nagware doesn't mean you should. I support independent developers much more than I do the big time developers and this is an application that I would buy if I didn't know it would be such a problem.

Still worth a try though.

M

m-sambo

Interesting. As someone contemplating on switching to an ibook for my mobile needs, Dashboard was a nifty selling point looking ahead to when Tiger is released. Didn't realise it was css,js,html based though. That's cool.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Couldn't get through the article...I rapidly got tired of all the twisting and turning to defend Apple. Sigh. As much as I like my Mini and OSX, the constant defence/bashing the pervades the Apple community, be it the print magazines, websites, or forums like this, borders on the rediculous. Can't people discuss the technology without elevating Apple to sainthood and every thing else as crap?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Can anyone sum it up for me in one sectence, so I don't have to read it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
dan828 said:
Couldn't get through the article...I rapidly got tired of all the twisting and turning to defend Apple. Sigh. As much as I like my Mini and OSX, the constant defence/bashing the pervades the Apple community, be it the print magazines, websites, or forums like this, borders on the rediculous. Can't people discuss the technology without elevating Apple to sainthood and every thing else as crap?

The same bashing of things happens probably even more on PC sites like Anandtech Forums with AMD and Intel. I don't like any of it either but it's just not the Mac people that do it, and so much of the bashing is FUD with accusations running wild and downright total Lies. Like AMD will not run all applications but Intel will, Mac has 2 or at the most 3 avalible applications, ETC. All of it is FUD and wrong.

I wish it would all stop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
dtravis7 said:
The same bashing of things happens probably even more on PC sites like Anandtech Forums with AMD and Intel. I don't like any of it either but it's just not the Mac people that do it, and so much of the bashing is FUD with accusations running wild and downright total Lies. Like AMD will not run all applications but Intel will, Mac has 2 or at the most 3 avalible applications, ETC. All of it is FUD and wrong.

I wish it would all stop.

I really haven't noticed much of it until I got a Mac and began to read Mac literature and viewing Mac forums (general- not mac-forums in particular). You can't go to a Mac forum or read something like Mac Addict without having being subjected to constant bashing. Frankly, I'd rather read about things I enjoy without all of the extra sentances or paragraphs. I like computers, I enjoy doing things with them, but I'm not emotionally envested in any particular company for either Hardware, Software, or the OS. And frankly, I'm just baffled that people get so upset and emotional about these things.

K

kingcrowing2

Well, i just loaded Konfab on my XP notebook, and i think its really sweet! and i dunno if it's a "system hog" because with the CPU monitor, it rarely goes about 15-20% when i'm chatting and have an internet window open... i hope dashboard is this good!

K

Kokopelli

Konfabulator is not a terrible resource hog, Dashboard is just lighter. If your system is a little slow or you are usually low on memory then it might be a problem. On the other hand if you have some memory and clock cycles to spare then it is a fine product. I would suggest those not looking to migrate to Tiger to at least give it a try.

I gave it a try for a few days but it cluttered my desktop too much for my taste. I can see why others like it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.