moving emails from outlook express while retaining folder structure

Reaction score
Hi. I need to move my wife's emails from Outlook Express 6 to Mac Mail. I tried it with my stuff first (we're both switching, or trying to at least). I used DbxConv and it all went pretty well, except that the folder-subfolder structure was gone. All the folder were there but none of them were inside other folders.

Of course I could go in and try to recreate the structure by putting mailboxes inside others, but my wife has a very complex structure of folders inside other folders, and it would be almost impossible to put it all back together.

So does anybody know a good technique for moving emails while retaining the folder structure?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
MessageSave by techhit is the best i have seen if you are new to mac and switching over. it does all the work. we just switched our CEO over to a Mac and he had over 300,000 saved emails and at least 40-50 mailboxes and that product worked great.

good luck

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Looks like a good product, however it looks like it does the same thing as DbxConv: it enables you to import all the messages into Mail but it doesn't retain the folder structure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i may misunderstand what you mean but when we just used that his Outlook had the Inbox then inside that there were folder containing emails labeled things like " leads 2005" , "sales 2005" etc.... then inside those folders where folders labeled things like "closed" or "havent reached" etc... and all of that was still in the same tree structure with the emails in there proper folders when we converted him over.

OP
C
Reaction score
fletch33,
Are you sure about the folders? I've been trying repeatedly with the trial version of MessageSave and it creates .mbox files that can be imported into mail as mailboxes, but they all get lumped into one folder.

For example, I have 3 folders, called test1, test2, and test3. The folder test2 is insided test1. test3 is inside test2.

With MessageSave I choose to export test1 and all subfolders. It makes 3 .mbox files. When I import them into Mail I get a mailbox called Import. Inside that are 3 mailboxes: test1, test1-test2, and test1-test2-test3. They are all inside Import box and test1-test2 is not inside test1.

Anybody know how I can retain the original folder structures? There are hundreds folders inside other folders.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also note that fletch33 is referring to Outlook which uses a different file structure for mailboxes than Outlook Express. Some folks have had good success using Thunderbird to convert and move mail from OE to Mac Mail. Can't say for sure if T-Bird maintains folders though.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
On a related note, does anyone know how to retain mail folders from a webmail account? I have Comcast web mail with a "School Stuff" folder, "Funnies" folder, etc, but they don't show up in Apple Mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.