White vs. Aluminum Macbook? + WinVista question

Reaction score
Two questions:

(1) I am trying to decide between the white and the aluminum Macbook. My question is, what are the real differences? I see the aluminum Macbook has a bigger hard drive, the memory is DDR3 rather than DDR2, and... the case is aluminum. Why is that $300? Is the memory difference worth the money? Is the hard disk? Is the aluminum so much better, sturdier -- or is it just aesthetic? $300 seems like an awful lot of money for what appears like very minor changes to me. Am I missing something?

(2) I would like to use Windows Vista with my Mac.
  • (a) Do I need to buy anything separate (other than Windows Vista software itself) to use it, or is everything I need included and pre-installed?
  • (b) Is it possible to get viruses on my Mac with Windows installed? Do I need to invest in antivirus software? If so, which is recommended?

Thank you in advance! I hope these questions aren't too amateurish for the forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
1) I'm not too up on the alu MBs so I'll leave that for someone else. But...

2) If you want to have it as a dual boot system, with effectively a completely separate windows computer then no. I've got XP via bootcamp and its fantastic. If you want it in a VM then you can purchase VMWare Fusion, or Parallels. Or you can use Virtual box, which is free. Bear in mind that when using a VM it will eat up RAM. So make sure you've got plenty! It's not possible to get a windows virus on a mac, but make sure you get an antivirus set up on your windows side. I run AVG's free offering and its absolutely fine. Easy to set up and I'm safe and happy. OSX appears to be safe without anti virus, although there do appear to be things popping up, though nothing to be that worried about. But... I do have ClamXav anti virus on my macbook (white) and run it every so often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
You would only be able to get a virus while running vista and this would only effect vista not OSX. A free anti virus will work fine if your only every now and again using vista.. otherwise id invest in norton 360 3.0, make sure it is 3.0 other versions are very poor.

The aluminum one is defiantly worth $300. The DDR3 makes the word of difference.. you have to remember all macbook only have shared graphics, its only the pros that have dedicated, and the thing that makes dedicated graphics better is that it uses faster memory than standard system memory. Having fast DDR3 memory in the system makes its graphics performance 100x's better than the white macbook.

The screen and track pad are also loads loads better!! If your getting a macbook get the better one. I'm currently using a 2.4GHz aluminum macbook. Love It!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Two questions:

(1) I am trying to decide between the white and the aluminum Macbook. My question is, what are the real differences? I see the aluminum Macbook has a bigger hard drive, the memory is DDR3 rather than DDR2, and... the case is aluminum. Why is that $300? Is the memory difference worth the money? Is the hard disk? Is the aluminum so much better, sturdier -- or is it just aesthetic? $300 seems like an awful lot of money for what appears like very minor changes to me. Am I missing something?

The real difference is the screen it's a lot brighter, glass track pad, and a much better GPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
I can't comment on wether the aluminum one is that much better as I only have the macbook white. Having said that I think that the macbook white is great. All the software runs at incredible speeds on it and so far I have not found a situation where i wished i has a more powerful macbook.

Granted I use it for home use, ie photos, music, surfing, office, etc. But it certainly fulfills all those tasks brilliantly.

As far as value for money goes, I rate the macbook white very highly and am not personally sure that the premium the aluminum book commands is worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Yeah the white macbook is amazing, but its main downfall is graphic power. All other differences aside, the graphic improvement is well worth $300. I use a mac mini (same graphics as the white macbook) and the Unibody Macbook and I by far prefer to use the macbook, purely on the fact that the graphics are that much better.

But you do have to ask your self what you are going to be using on the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
I thought the white macbook was updated so that it used the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (same as the alu macbook)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I thought the white macbook was updated so that it used the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (same as the alu macbook)

Yeah they did update the GPU for the newer white MBs.

OP
D
Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly, the only changes between a current white and aluminum Macbook are...

• Aluminum rather than white (obviously!)
  • Glass trackpad
  • DDR3 rather than DDR2
  • Somewhat bigger HD

Seems to be very little for $300... so, unless I'm missing anything, I'll be going for a white one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You might also want to consider the MUCH better LED backlit display which is much brighter and has a better wider viewing angle also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
What about the glossy screens? You seem to be forgetting something, dtravis7. They can be quite annoying.

Of course, you can always purchase an anti-glare screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
The aluminum one is defiantly worth $300. The DDR3 makes the word of difference.. you have to remember all macbook only have shared graphics, its only the pros that have dedicated, and the thing that makes dedicated graphics better is that it uses faster memory than standard system memory. Having fast DDR3 memory in the system makes its graphics performance 100x's better than the white macbook.

The screen and track pad are also loads loads better!! If your getting a macbook get the better one. I'm currently using a 2.4GHz aluminum macbook. Love It!!

I will second this. I only have the 2.0, but totally worth the extra cash. And if you get it refurbished, it's only 100 more. Mine's a refurb and works great.

Also, the RAM is a big upgrade for graphics power, because it is an integrated graphics card (ie shares the system RAM) and the bus on the gpu is 1066mhz, the same as the bus on the RAM and northbridge for the aluminum macbook. Consistency is nice, no bottle necks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What about the glossy screens? You seem to be forgetting something, dtravis7. They can be quite annoying.

Of course, you can always purchase an anti-glare screen.

Have you ever compared them side by site? You should check out Anandtech's review with pics of the old white Macbook Vs new one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You might also want to consider the MUCH better LED backlit display which is much brighter and has a better wider viewing angle also.

Agreed. The screen differences (looking at them side-by-side) are well worth the $300 difference. I can't stand looking at the crappy screens on the plastic MacBooks. It's unreal they're able to command such a premium over a comparable PC notebook with a screen that terrible.

All MacBooks have a glossy screen, so that is somewhat of a moot point (although I've heard that the glass overlay is a lot glossier than the plastic screens).

In my opinion, when you buy a computer, you should decide on a budget before you go shopping. Buy the best computer that you can for the money and don't bother sweating the small stuff.

As it relates to Windows Vista, I'm somewhat perplexed as to why you'd choose it over XP. IMO, I'd either wait for Windows 7 or just go with XP. And yes, when you run Windows, even on Apple hardware, you're just as susceptible to malware. It's the operating system that dictates what sort of software the machine can run, including malicious software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.