Made the switch! (couple of questions...)

Reaction score
Got my mac mini on friday, installed 4GB of RAM (very easy using the video on OWC), plugged stuff in, and we're off. Of course, everything loaded right away, and all the software updated itself. So far, I'm loving it, as everything just seems to be engineered properly. Which I'd done this years ago.

Couple of questions...
1. It looks as though my HP Laserjet 1000 isn't supported, and some googling led me to find that some drivers used to be on line, but have been removed. I found this page, which appears to have a solution. However, it looks to use a lot of command prompt stuff, and I'm weary to screw anything up. Can someone let me know if this looks right?
foo2zjs: a linux printer driver for ZjStream protocol

2. I downloaded Firefox, and now I have a dmg on my desktop. When I open it, I get a screen showing FIrefox with an arrow to my applications folder, and the top says 1 of 2 selected. I dragged it over, and it's in my app folder and on my dock. After rebooting and clicking firefox in the dock, I get prompted about running dmgs. What am I doing wrong? How do I finish the installation so that the dmg goes away?

Thanks again for all the help and advice during my conversion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Re #2, is it a warning that you are running an Application that was downloaded from the internet, or is it opening the dmg again? You don't drag the dmg to the Applications folder. You drag the Firefox icon that appears in the window that opens when you click the dmg. Sounds like you did this though. Once this is done, you manually delete the dmg from the desktop.

The OS X installation process takes a while to get used to because it is so different from Windows.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was getting a "file from the internet" warning, you were right. I checked the "Don't show again" box, and now it doesn't pop back up. But, the blue box where I can drag firefox to the app folder icon still pops up. If I try and do that again, it asks me if I want to replace Firefox in my apps folder. Even if I do this, it will run again next time I open Firefox. This also happens if I trash the dmg icon on the desktop after I quit Firefox. Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I think you copied the dmg file to the Applications folder instead of the actual Firefox application. Delete Firefox from your Applications folder. Open the dmg. Drag the Firefox icon inside to the Applications folder. Then delete the dmg.

dmg is short for "disk image". dmg files are roughly the OS X equivalent to .iso files. They contain the application and you can run it from the dmg, but they also include the installer which will keep opening each time to run the dmg. Dragging the icon to the Application folder allows you to copy the application out of the dmg, and deleting the dmg removes the installer, leaving the application only behind on your HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
B
Reaction score
I think you copied the dmg file to the Applications folder instead of the actual Firefox application. Delete Firefox from your Applications folder. Open the dmg. Drag the Firefox icon inside to the Applications folder. Then delete the dmg.

dmg is short for "disk image". dmg files are roughly the OS X equivalent to .iso files. They contain the application and you can run it from the dmg, but they also include the installer which will keep opening each time to run the dmg. Dragging the icon to the Application folder allows you to copy the application out of the dmg, and deleting the dmg removes the installer, leaving the application only behind on your HD.

Ahhh..Thanks for clearing that up. After I removed everything and tried it again, worked perfectly! Gonna take some time to get used to all this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Yeah. But the nice thing is, once you get used to it, it's quite easy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.2
windoze key

I need to use the correct key fo windoze for @.
what is it?
Greg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You need to use what? @ is where it always is... on the 2 key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.