Wi-fi router choice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Having recently switched I have a legacy wireless router (Netgear Wireless ADSL Modem Gateway) which is working perfectly well with the two iMacs in the house, but which is now rather old technology. I've looked in the forums for an answer to my question, but it seems to be too basic. :)

The question is this: Which of the Apple modem/routers would be best for my situation? i.e., two iMacs and a Windows-based laptop.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If it's working fine for you, then why change? Don't tell me it's simply change for the sake of change.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Well, the old routers are slower for file transfer than the new ones and, sooner or later, the old one - six years old now - is going to fail, and I like to be prepared.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Having recently switched I have a legacy wireless router (Netgear Wireless ADSL Modem Gateway) which is working perfectly well with the two iMacs in the house, but which is now rather old technology. I've looked in the forums for an answer to my question, but it seems to be too basic. :)

The question is this: Which of the Apple modem/routers would be best for my situation? i.e., two iMacs and a Windows-based laptop.

Thanks for any help.

Apple doesn't make a router with an integrated modem. Any particular reason why you would want an Apple-branded device?

Reaction score

Thanks for any help.

You need to give more information about your setup and needs.

1. Are you running all wireless?

2. Are all of the computers using 802.11n?

3. How much range do you need?

4. Do you need/want to share printers and/or hard drives?

As previously noted, Apple does not make a modem/router combo. I think you'd be better off with a modem and a separate router. Apple makes fine products. The choice between the Airport Extreme an the Airport Express depends on your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If i were you i would stay with the Netgear and get the latest model Time Capsule, then u have availability of a dual network LAN - 11g for iPhone Printers etc and a fast LAN for Macs if they are 11n capable and an internal HD and as well a USB connector for Ext HD or printer if yours is not wireless and whats more it will supply internet connections to heaps of other computers Mac and PCs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If i were you i would stay with the Netgear and get the latest model Time Capsule, then u have availability of a dual network LAN - 11g for iPhone Printers etc and a fast LAN for Macs if they are 11n capable and an internal HD and as well a USB connector for Ext HD or printer if yours is not wireless and whats more it will supply internet connections to heaps of other computers Mac and PCs

Well, doing that, you add quite a bit of needless complexity, particularly with IP conflicts between the two networks. Additionally, since 802.11n runs on 2.4GHz as well, the signals can stomp all over each other.

Reaction score
Well, doing that, you add quite a bit of needless complexity, particularly with IP conflicts between the two networks. Additionally, since 802.11n runs on 2.4GHz as well, the signals can stomp all over each other.

If it is setup properly, there will no IP conflicts and the 802.11n can be run at 5 GHz. I run a network with an AEBS and a Belkin 802.11g router. The Belkin runs as an access point. The AE assigns all IP addresses. The setup allows me to run the n network at full speed. I have two computers, a printer, a Wii, and an iPhone that need g.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is setup properly, there will no IP conflicts and the 802.11n can be run at 5 GHz. I run a network with an AEBS and a Belkin 802.11g router. The Belkin runs as an access point. The AE assigns all IP addresses. The setup allows me to run the n network at full speed. I have two computers, a printer, a Wii, and an iPhone that need g.

I understand that, but I try to keep things simple when I'm helping folks out here. Sure, it's not a big deal for someone well-versed in WiFi and network configuration, but it's not something I'd want to walk a novice through.

Reaction score
I understand that, but I try to keep things simple when I'm helping folks out here. Sure, it's not a big deal for someone well-versed in WiFi and network configuration, but it's not something I'd want to walk a novice through.

That's a good point but I don't think it is a good idea to give people the idea that it can't be done.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good point but I don't think it is a good idea to give people the idea that it can't be done.

Well, that certainly wasn't my intent, I normally try to be very careful with the way I state things - I apologize if it came across as though it couldn't be done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Whereas i have an iMac and MBP on 5GHz 11n and iPhone and Brother MFC on the 11g with a TC and AEBS. Wife and i could not exist on one computer, so that seemed easy enuff to set up and runs sweetly. I suppose i could have added all that in previous post but never sure how much detail is best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Just a little bit of a derailing here, but I'd also suggest check out OpenDns for your router.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thanks for all the useful comments. I guess I'll go with the latest Netgear product. My existing one has been reliable and their customer relations excellent. The modem plus router sounds just a tad complicated for my current skill set :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Just my two 'penneth' (= 2 cents worth for our US cousins). Our household happily runs 2 iMacs and two windows laptops with a Netgear DG834n Rangemax NEXt wireless modem router. One iMac is on the same floor as the router but a room and two brick brick walls away. The laptops run anywhere in the house or garden as I'm sure the iMacs would but they are a bit big to move around!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.