• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Why do DVD regions exist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Hi all,

I use my Powerbook which is preset at Region 2 to play DVDs. I've borrowed some DVDs from America (Region 1) to watch for a few times and when I was in Asia, I bought some DVDs there (Region 3).

You can see where the problems begins, I have 3 regions of which I am legally allowed to use on my Powerbook but I can only change the region 4 times.

Any solutions to this problem? I would really rather not spend more money buying the 'correct' region DVDs. Region-locking is such a pain.

Thanks!

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 ibook 1.33, 512 ram, 80gig hd, bluetooth and airport
dvd burning etc isnt exactly my scene but if you set the region to 0 it means the drive is region free and you might be able to play them all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can not set computer dvd players to region 0. There are region free dvd players as stand alones but you will have to find a firmware hack to disable the region encoding. I haven't run across this problem so I can't give you a link anywhere.

As to why region's exist it is because release dates are different in all parts of the world. For instance Harry Potter is released in the UK much earlier than it is in the US. Without region encoding it would make it much easier for piraters to sell Harry Potter DVD's in the US where they would be in large demand since it doesn't come out in while

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you Google for it, you can find it.

The idea was, certain areas of the world (for example, poorer Asian countries) are more likely to engage in piracy than others. If the same DVD was sold everywhere, it could by copied by the pirates and sold all aroound the world. So, sell different DVDs to them, and nobody would ever pirate anything again.

Hasn't quite worked out that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
http://german.about.com/library/bldvd2_how1.htm
here's a link about how to set via firmware the region code to our DVDROM. They said its more complicated to set the drive to region free that just changing to a different region. If you figure it out I'm sure you could post a FAQ/how-to thread. BTW: altering firmware voids warranties from Apple and can damage the drive :closed:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Thanks for all the replies. The Powerbook is new so I would really rather not void the warranty by messing about with the firmware.

I don't suppose there's an easier solution to this?

R

ryanyogan

It will take a little bit of extra time but you can rip the dvds and re burn them region free.... Or just start buying the same dvds!

Reaction score
You could use VLC player, so far as I know it region free. Just change the settings in the system prefs to open VLC player on insert of a DVD in place of DVD player.

Have a look at www.macupdate.com and type in DVD to the search field. Loads of programs and players for DVDs.

K

Kokopelli

I would second VLC which will play DVDs from any region. It is more CPU intensive since VLC has to do all the decoding in CPU but a new PB should be able to handle it fine. I have a couple Region 2 DVDs of things that are not available in the U.S. and VLC handles them fine.

Mplayer is another option. I have not tried it on the Mac but it works well on Linux. Downloading it now just to compare with VLC.

E

Eleven

DVD regions exist so the companies owning the rights can decide where and when they release their movies in theatres and DVD.

When I was in France I ordered Region 1 DVD because over there we have a law that states a movie cannot be released on DVD before ONE YEAR after its theatre release.

Also movies come out later in Europe, meaning some movies are released in DVD up to a year and a half after USA.

I have had DVD imports and watched them home before they were even released in theatre.

That's what they want to avoid.

Personally now that I live in USA I buy lots of DVDs but I also like French movies so I need to be able to play both, which I already do with DVD region free on my windows computers, so I can rip them, burn them region free and play them on my home player.

I will even try to add english subtitles to a couple of them so I can share them with my friends here...

As far as getting around it, I just got my PB 17 today and I asked here a couple weeks ago:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14651&highlight=region+free

I will try to find it and will post how it turned out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
Mactheripper says that it automatically set the dvd to 0 for "region free"...

Reaction score
region free disc

dvd burning etc isnt exactly my scene but if you set the region to 0 it means the drive is region free and you might be able to play them all.
When you burn a dvd its the disc that is set to region zero not the drive. A region 0 disc will play in any player not matter the region.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.