• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Changing .avi Orientation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OSX
Hello, I've got a question and I didn't see a previous thread on this problem.

I'm trying to help my girlfriend make a video for her English class. When recording a couple segments she held her digital camera vertically (portrait position) and now the videos play sideways. Is there a way to re-orient the video using the standard software on a MacBook running OSX 10.4.11? I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the format of the videos? AVI? Let us know and I will try a few things and get back to you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MPG Streamclip will do that for you. I used an AVI from my Canon camera and loaded it into MPG Streamclip. Then go to the file menu and select Export to whatever format you want. I tried both AVI and Quicktime. A menu will come up. Look for Rotation and select what you want. Works perfectly here.

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

OP
psychohistoric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OSX
Hey, it worked. Thanks a lot for your help. I'd never heard of that program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.