Looking for software that will create and produce music

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place or it's been answered a million times already :Oops:

Basically, i'm trying to decide what software to buy. I'm about to upgrade my ancient ibook G4 to a shiny new macbook. i'm looking for software that will let me create mixes and also experiment with producing my own music (mostly of an ambient / glitchy / electronica style). my only experience of using music software on the mac was messing about with cubase about 10 years ago. i'm now totally bewildered by all the choices out there, and would really appreciate any advice from you guys. p.s. i don't want to bankrupt myself!

thanks for taking the time to read this
;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Garageband is ok. If you get the Toast 10 Pro package it comes with Sonicfire included, and while I haven't played with it at all, it has an absolute stack of samples included, so would be something worth looking at. I don't know how much it costs, but as Toast is around £120 (unless you know where to look ;)) I would imagine much less.
Here's a link to the softwares site:

SmartSound Sonicfire Pro 5 - Overview

Reaction score
If a budget is no problem at all, Logic Pro 8 and Ableton Suite 8 are pretty much everything you'd ever need.

However, a much cheaper solution would be Reaper (REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits). Reaper is a uncrippling shareware DAW (digital audio workstation), quite similar to Cubase but I find it more flexible.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for the ideas guys, i think i'll give reaper a go, at least until i can save up for something like ableton ;D
cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.